Gigi's Fabulous Caramel Cake. Give me points for consistency because I failed again. The brown sugar caramel was fine and nicely liquid in the pan but once I took it off the stove and started pouring it over the warm cake, it hardened up into a
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups finely chopped apples (I used organic Fuji apples)
Brown Sugar Glaze (make at your own peril)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream (you might want to add more and/or switch to whole milk for a more runny consistency)
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13" baking pan with foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt whisking light to mix everything together.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs with a mixer on low speed until pale yellow and foamy. Add the oil and vanilla and beat well.
- Stir in the flour mixture and continue stirring the batter til the flour disappears. Add the apples and stir to mix them into the batter.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the hot cake on a wire rack.
- Glaze: While the cake is still hot, prepare the glaze. Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil, and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon the hot glaze over the still hot-from-the-oven cake. Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving.