Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Crumbl Cookies review #67 - Tres Leches Cake

Crumbl Cookies review #67: Tres Leches Cake - visited February 19, 2024
Tres Leches Cake
By all indications, I shouldn't like this cake. I tried Crumbl's Tres Leches Cookie last year and found it bland and dry. I'm not a big fan of Tres Leches cake in general. I've had some good ones but I've also had some bad ones. The bad ones are sopping wet rather than moist cake. Plus I had some big feelings about Crumbl switching to cake products when I go to them for cookies (see: Cinnamon Square)
And, like the Cinnamon Square, this cost more than their cookies. The premium on top of the cookie was even more than the Cinnamon Square. At my store, this cost $6.25 vs the $5.27 for the Cinnamon Square and $4.74 for a regular cookie (all prices include tax).
Also like the Cinnamon Square, since this is served to you in the square container it's baked in, you can't easily or neatly eat it without a fork or spoon. And it's chilled, another negative. Plus, you know how I feel about whipped cream, also known as "air with calories".
With all that stacked against it, no one was more surprised than me that I absolutely loved this cake. Love. Not like, not "hey, it's okay", not shrug take it or leave it, not even a little crush. MAD LOVE. 
This was perfectly soaked in the milk, with perfectly meaning it was moist but not wet, and it was still fluffy cake. Like ladyfingers soaked in the espresso mixture in a well-made tiramisu. Even more shocking to me, I even liked the whipped cream topping. I know, I know, who am I? Remember I almost always scrape off frosting from the cookies and I like frosting more than whipped cream. Nope, I ate it all on this Tres Leches Cake. 
Even more shocking and somewhat dismaying, I ate the whole thing on the same day I bought it. Normally, I portion into 3 or 4 pieces, eat one piece and freeze the rest for later. I ate a corner of this, then half of it. Then I jumped on the treadmill and hustled my ass for 50 minutes. Later on, after dinner, I polished off the rest of the cake. I've never eaten a whole Crumbl cookie on the same day before. Technically, I still haven't because this is a cake not a cookie but that's splitting calorie hairs. I'm even publishing this review in real time for anyone on the fence on whether they should get the Tres Leches Cake this week or not. If your budget (and waistline and A1C levels) can take the hit, I highly recommend this one. Props to my local store for doing an amazing job on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment