Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Crumbl Cookies review #66 - Cinnamon Square and Cannoli (revisited)

Crumbl Cookies review #66 - Cinnamon Square and revisiting Cannoli
Cinnamon Square
Last week, Crumbl put out what (to me) turned out to be a "controversial" baked good. If you can classify it enough of a First World problem to be controversial. I would insert an eye roll here and say it's just a cookie but apparently that was part of the buzz in that it wasn't a cookie. They billed it as not a cookie and not a cinnamon roll but a "cinnamon square".
I'll save you the mind bend and tell you straight up it was a little cinnamon cake with cream cheese frosting. Served in its own container inserted in the pink box. That's it. It's a cake. 
It was actually a pretty good cake. At least the one I got was. My (reminder: First World) issue with it is I don't go to Crumbl for cakes. I go for cookies. I make copycat cookies, some of which are as good or better than the OG and others that miss the mark completely. This? I can make this. It's not that hard either. I've made worse, I've made better. I can make better far more times than I can make worse when it comes to cakes.
The other issues people posted about was their cake didn't have any cinnamon, very little cinnamon, was raw in the middle, was dry and bland and so on. So it appears this one has a lot of quality control issues, depending on the store you go to. Thankfully, my store did their usual bang up job and I got a nice little cake with cream cheese frosting. I did point out on the Crumbl fan page (yes, it's a thing) that this offering doesn't really fit well with the usual elements for the typical fan. Meaning you can't eat it with your fingers without creating an unholy mess so you need to bring a fork or ask for one at the store (if they have it - mine didn't advertise that they did nor did it occur to me at the time to ask) or wait until you get home. Sorry, you "I ate it in the parking lot" people. This also cost 49 cents more than the cookie price. Not a big deal since, again me, I was raised by first generation immigrants who instilled that if you can't afford it, don't buy it. I can afford another 49 cents so I bought it without complaint. Other people complained (now can I insert my eye roll?). Funny enough, apparently you can't offer constructive feedback on a fan page without having people double down on how delicious their cinnamon square was, it's now in their top 5, they would drive miles and miles for it, no one complained at their store, it's a nice change, they hope it's permanent on the menu and so on. That's cool. We're all different with different opinions. I ain't arguing with people about a not-a-cookie. I'm glad I tried it. I don't need to get it again. I can make my own. One hopefully that isn't 920 calories for a little square. 

Cannoli
Now we get to a former test cookie that's now on the regular menu. Remember when I raved about the cannoli when it was a test cookie and how I would buy multiples of it when it hit the regular menu?
Yeah, no. I was planning on it but decided I would try one first as a regular menu item in case they changed it from when it was a test cookie. That turned out to be the right decision. I don't know if they actually changed the cookie recipe or the bake time. It doesn't look like it but this time around, my cannoli cookie wasn't as good. I let it come to room temperature as always then tried it.
Unfortunately it had a drier mouthfeel than the test cookie and not as much flavor. I think it baked a minute too long or had more flour than the test cookie did. It was still good but not good enough to send me into raptures or get me to go back to the store for another. I'm glad I only bought one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment