Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Crumbl Cookies review #65: Chocolate Waffle Cone (tester)

Crumbl Cookies review #65: Chocolate Waffle Cone (test cookie) - visited January 16, 2024
I'm trying to catch up on my Crumbl test cookie reviews before tomorrow's test cookie comes out so I'm getting this in now rather than later in case I want to get tomorrow's test cookie and need to review that one.
Last week it seemed like all of the test stores were only testing 1 flavor, going by the test map on the Crumbl app. I liked all the elements describing this test cookie so I wasn't mad about it when that's what my tester store offered.

I think this is slightly misnamed in that there aren't chocolate waffle cone pieces in the cookie base. The chocolate is referring to the "melted semisweet chocolate" in the topping, not the waffle pieces in the cookie base. It might be better to call it a chocolate and vanilla waffle cone cookie to refer to the toppings rather than the cookie base. I was hoping by the description that the "vanilla bean mousse" was the same mousse in the skillet cookie that I liked so much. 
But alas, it wasn't the same. Even if Crumbl swears they used the same recipe, I wouldn't believe them as this mousse didn't have much flavor and it had a heavier texture, like it was heavy whipped cream instead of the original mousse. So I'd dock the cookie for that. The melted semisweet topping was more like a solid piece of chewy chocolate and didn't pair well in terms of texture with the mousse. The peanut garnish was good but as you can see from the picture, I didn't get very much of it. Not a big deal though.
My favorite part of this cookie was the base itself. The waffle pieces added a little crunch and the taste was fantastic. It's more dense as befitting a cookie shell so don't look for the fluffy texture of a more traditional Crumbl cookie. I liked the cookie but I'd only get it again if they use the mousse in the skillet cookie. It would also be better if they used a softer chocolate (more like a frosting than a chocolate that has already set), spread it directly over the cookie shell and topped it with a scoop of the vanilla bean mousse then sprinkled the peanuts over it. Otherwise, if they keep this as is, I'm glad I tried it, and I enjoyed the test cookie but likely wouldn't get it again when it hits the regular menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment