Monday, September 4, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #48: Skillet Cookie (test cookie)

Crumbl Cookies review #48: Skillet Cookie (test cookie) - visited August 23, 2023
One of the biggest perks in moving into the area I did earlier this year is the Costco is a short drive away. Another big perk is the only Crumbl in my half of the state is across the street from the Costco. And as the proverbial cherry on top to that perk is this particular Crumbl is a test store. Meaning, almost every Wednesday, they're one of a group of Crumbl test stores across the country that tests a new flavor or a new rendition of an existing flavor, that isn't on the regular rotation menu.
Two (or sometimes three) flavors are usually tested per week and I find out on Wednesdays which one my store is testing. For this week, it was the skillet cookie. Which I was glad about since I didn't have any interest in the Jammy Heart (no jams or jellies for me, thanks).

A skillet cookie is essentially a pizookie, a warm cookie baked in a skillet (hence the name) or small round pan, topped with ice cream and served warm. Since it wouldn't be practical for Crumbl to serve these with ice cream, they adapted a vanilla bean mousse to mimic the ice cream. They used semisweet chocolate for this cookie, both the chips and the drizzle. I prefer milk chocolate but the semisweet worked in this cookie to cut some of the sweetness.

It's served warm but by the time I was able to eat it (I virtuously ate a salad before I had the cookie), it had cooled down. So I heated it up in the microwave for 10 seconds. That caused the mousse to spread almost fully into the indent of the cookie which worked just fine. I unexpectedly liked the mousse more than the cookie, unusual since I'm not big on custards, creams or mousses. But it worked really well in this cookie. 
The only issue I had is my cookie seemed fully baked rather than underbaked. It wasn't overbaked or dry but I would've preferred a tad less baked so it had a softer texture. But still a good cookie and if/when it hits the regular rotation, I'd probably get it again for the mousse.

No comments:

Post a Comment