I didn't make the glaze for this as I was sending it in a care package for a deployed military service member and I didn't know how well the glaze would hold up since I didn't know if it was going to a cold climate or a warm one. Plus, depending on the final destination, it can take up to 2 weeks for a package to arrive and I didn't want the moistness of the glaze to get moldy. I don't have a food sealer (yet) so I played it safe by keeping this unglazed.
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 to 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into 3 greased and flour loaf pans, 8" x 4" x 2.5".
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out with a few moist crumbs or clean.
- Frosting: Combine powdered sugar and cocoa in medium mixing bowl. Add butter and milk; mix well. Spread over pound cakes.