Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sally's Baking Addiction

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough September 23, 2022, modified from Sally's Baking Addiction
1 1/4 cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (190 grams) yellow or vanilla boxed cake mix (not the whole box and you just need the dry mix)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (100 grams) packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cake batter extract (sub vanilla extract if you don't have cake batter extract)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup sprinkles
  1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, dry cake mix, baking soda and salt.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until well combined and creamy, about 1 minute.
  3. Add the egg and mix to combine. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
  4. Add dry ingredients in two additions, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips and sprinkles on low speed until evenly dispersed. Do not overbeat.
  5. Cover and chill dough for 2 hours then portion into dough balls making them taller than they are wider, cover and chill or freeze.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly place dough balls. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. 
Can you believe it's already October? Yeah, me neither. I love this time of year so it can never come fast enough but I'm almost always surprised when it does arrive because it signals the slide into the end of the year. Already??

I started making Halloween-themed treats even before October though since I was mailing these in care packages for Soldiers Angels and had to account for mailing time. The first week of October is the very latest I want to make anything Halloween-related if I want them to arrive by or before Halloween.
These Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sally's Baking Addiction seemed like a good one to go with for the season. I'm not a fan of sprinkles but they are the easiest way to add to any holiday theme, depending on which colors you choose. It was simple enough to Halloween-ize these cookies.
I also still had cake batter extract from the Crumbl Copycat Birthday Cake cookie recipe so I did a 1:1 substitution for the vanilla extract in the original recipe. My palate isn't sensitive enough to tell how much of a difference that made, especially since I didn't make the original recipe as is for a control point but I like to think it helped add to the cake flavor along with the dry cake mix in the recipe.

Although, to be honest, this seemed like a chocolate chip cookie with a little cake batter flavor in it. I think I'd prefer a straightforward chocolate chip cookie with milk chocolate chips but I wasn't making these for me and I think they'd appeal to both chocolate chip cookie traditionalists and cake batter flavor consumers. Plus, sprinkles make them festive and perfect for care packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment