Sunday, October 16, 2022

Cake Batter Monster Cookies from Beyond Frosting

Cake Batter Monster Cookies - made dough October 3, 2022 from Beyond Frosting 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and sliced into tablespoons
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (110 grams) light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup (140 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (35 grams) vanilla cake mix, dry
1 cup (80 grams) rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup M & Ms
1/4 cup sprinkles
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, dry cake mix, oats, baking soda and salt. Add in two additions to butter mixture, mixing on low speed after each addition, until combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Fold in white chocolate chips, M&Ms and sprinkles.
  5. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls and flatten slightly to thick discs. Cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment. Evenly space dough discs on baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw or shiny. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
These were the last of the Halloween-ized cookies I made and I'm rushing to post before everyone's Halloween baking is done. I feel like I'm in retail and by the time I bake them, mail them, blog about them and post them, the season is past and I should be working on Valentine's by now. (Don't worry, I'm not).
The original recipe had these as monster sandwich cookies with vanilla filling but since I was mailing these, I skipped the filling and kept them as plain single cookies. Although "plain" is relative as you can see they're quite busy with sprinkles.
I was trying to use up the last of my monster mash sprinkles and get just two more care packages out to a deployed service man (and a servicewoman) early enough so they'd receive the boxes before Halloween. Plus, let's be honest, I didn't want leftover monster mash sprinkles sitting in my pantry until next Halloween.
So I might've been a little generous with the sprinkles so I could empty the container. These aren't traditional monster cookies in that they don't contain peanut butter but they do have oats, white chocolate chips, M&Ms and, of course, sprinkles. I think they came out okay. They're a bit sweet and you don't really get a strong cake batter flavor so they seemed more like funfetti cookies. I think they'd be good kid cookies as they're bright and colorful and most kids don't share my dislike of sprinkles.



No comments:

Post a Comment