Monday, November 18, 2019

Sweet Potato Honey Cornbread

Sweet Potato Honey Cornbread - made November 18, 2019 from Black Girls Who Brunch
I don't normally like cornbread, to be honest. Too gritty and oftentimes too dry, even if it isn't overbaked. Or it's too heavy. I can eat it if it's warm and loaded with butter but otherwise, I generally pass on it.
This recipe caught my eye because it was a sweet potato cornbread and since I'd bought a bag of sweet potatoes from Costco for the Sweet Potato Cake, yup, you guessed it, I had to use up the rest of the sweet potatoes before they sprouted and jumped off my kitchen counter.
I wanted to try this recipe because the pictures from Black Girls Who Brunch looked really good. I can oftentimes tell how a recipe will turn out based on the pictures. This one looked dense and moist, good qualities in a cornbread, I say.
This turned out amazingly delicious. Yes, I ate it warm with a sliver (okay, a little thicker than a sliver but it wasn't a full-on slab) of butter melting over it. It was probably the best cornbread I've ever eaten. But do you want to know the ironic part? I think I forgot to add the milk and it still turned out moist and delicious. I don't see how it could've been better but I will probably have to make it again, correctly this time. This is a perfect accompaniment to a Thanksgiving feast so I'm posting it ahead of all the other posts I need to put up so you, too, can enjoy an amazing cornbread.



1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1/3 cup honey
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Or leave a 9-inch cast iron skillet unlined and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Add sweet potato to blend. Add eggs, butter and honey; beat to combine. Add milk and beat until combined.
  4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 33-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. yummmmmmm!! I have 3 sweet potatoes with cornbread on their mind !

    ReplyDelete