Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Crumbl Cookies review #63: Mallow Sandwich ft Oreo and Lemon Mallow Cupcake (tester)

Crumbl Cookies review #63: Chocolate Mallow ft Oreo and Lemon Mallow Cupcake (tester) - visited January 3, 2023
Mallow Sandwich ft Oreo
There's a lot of hype about the Mallow Sandwich featuring Oreo and I thought I'd reviewed it before but I don't see it in a search of my blog posts so maybe I haven't. I think I've had it before though so maybe the other time was just a taste of someone else's as I normally blog what I bought for myself.
In any case, for me, the Mallow Sandwich ft Oreo lives up to its hype. I've always liked their cookies with an Oreo or black cocoa base (less rich) and the brownies in the filling are quite good. If I had to quibble about anything, it'd be the filling. It's not cream cheese which I know a lot of people object to (I'm not one of them) but more of a fluffy marshmallow (but not rubbery marshmallow) filling. I don't love it but I don't mind it.
Some people complained online about how skimpy their stores filled their sandwich cookies but you can see from the pictures that's a problem the Sparks, NV store does not have. They fill quite generously and always do these types of cookies right. So the Chocolate Mallow ft Oreo is good and, as always, a sandwich cookie gives much better value as a $4-$5-ish dollar cookie.

And of course, we come to the tester of last week. When the possible test flavors were posted on the app, I had hoped my store would do either the German Chocolate Cake or the Lemon Mallow Cupcake. Fortunately, they did the latter.
Lemon Mallow Cupcake (tester)

The cookie is supposed to be served chilled, probably because of the whipped cream topping but I let it come to room temperature (of course).
Hence why you can see the lemon glaze on top looks a bit runny. Because it was. I loved the cookie base on this one with its signature Crumbl cookie texture and sugar cookie (sans almond extract) flavor. I'm not a fan of whipped cream but what knocked this cookie down the preference list for me was the lemon glaze. It wasn't lemony enough. Instead, I tasted something more artificial than lemon. Not even lemon extract but just something artificial. Lemon extract would at least have given it some lemon punch. This would've been better with lemon curd atop it or, barring that, more actual lemon flavor in that glaze. I think this tester was an attempt to be cute and pretty but my taste buds would've preferred just the cookie base, a light vanilla glaze instead of whipped cream and lemon curd on top. No need for the squiggle of white chocolate either but that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment