Sunday, January 14, 2024

Crumbl Copycat Waffle Cookies from Cooking with Karli & Crumbl Waffle Cookie revisited

Crumbl Copycat Waffle Cookies - made dough January 10, 2024 from Cooking with Karli 
1 1/2 cups salted butter, softened (add 3/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted)
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

Vanilla buttercream
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
3 cups powdered suar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
milk to thin as needed
maple syrup for topping
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
  3. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl; add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
  4. Add the flour and baking powder and mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
  5. Portion dough into 1/3 cup dough balls. Flatten slightly into thick discs. Evenly space on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Using a wooden chopstick, press impressions into each cookie to make waffle marks (3 grooves horizontal and 3 grooves vertical).
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw or wet. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
  7. Make buttercream: cream butter until smooth. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing until completely before adding more. Add in vanilla and splash of milk, mixing until buttercream is desired texture. Thin with additional milk if needed. Place a small scoop of buttercream over warm cookies and drizzle with maple syrup if desired. Serve warm.
If it seems all I've been doing lately is going to Crumbl and reviewing Crumbl cookies, you'd be half right. I actually have still been baking for my volunteer work with Soldiers Angels but mostly tried and true recipes I've made before and already blogged about so I had nothing new to post. Until this tie in with trying out a copycat recipe for the Crumbl waffle cookie. I've tried the real thing from Crumbl but had made the mistake of pouring the syrup over the cookie so all I could taste was syrup so I had to try it again last week (see review below). I've also tried the copycat recipe from Lifestyle of a Foodie and it was fantastic.
Cooking with Karli Crumbl waffle copycat
Cooking with Karli also has a lot of Crumbl copycat recipes and I decided to try this one since the waffle cookie was on the Crumbl menu last week and I could do a real-time comparison of this copycat recipe with the real thing. But first, in comparison to the copycat recipe from Lifestyle of a Foodie, I have to give the nod to Lifestyle's. The dough from Cooking with Karli was more sticky, even after I added all the flour and you can see the impressions didn't hold as well. Flavor-wise, I also preferred Lifestyle of a Foodie's recipe as it had more brown-sugar-caramel overtones. 
Inside pic of Cooking with Karli Crumbl waffle copycat
I also had to bake Cooking with Karli's recipe longer as the middles looked unbaked (not just underdone which I prefer) but the bottoms were fully baked. So the texture wasn't as underdone and soft as I would've preferred. The funny thing though, in terms of flavor, this matched the OG Crumbl waffle cookie more closely. So the "fix" might be to just underbake it rather than waiting for the middles to not look raw, which is what I usually do.

I did try the Crumbl waffle cookie again since last time I ruined it by pouring the syrup over it before trying the cookie itself and all I could taste was syrup.
I didn't make that mistake again and this time just spread the dollop of buttercream more evenly over the cookie (and also spread some of it over the copycat cookie).
Crumbl waffle cookie
The OG Crumb waffle cookie was fabulous. It's basically a brown sugar cookie, which I love, and the texture was perfect, chewy denseness glory. The only waffle-y thing about it were the hashmarks but that doesn't matter. I loved this cookie. Lesson learned: don't pour the syrup over the cookie. It's better without.
Inside of Crumbl waffle cookie without the syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment