Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #43 - Red Velvet Cupcake, Waffle, Lemon Bar (mystery cookie), Fried Ice Cream

Crumbl Cookies review #43 - Red Velvet Cupcake, Waffle, Lemon Bar (mystery cookie) and Fried Ice Cream, visited June 19, 2023
I've been eating Crumbl cookies long enough and tried enough flavors that it's a rare week when they offer 4 flavors I've never tried before AND they were flavors I actually wanted to try.
I always try to take a picture of the menu for posterity's sake. This shot is a little (badly) angled as there were people in front of the kiosk putting in an order so I had to take the picture from the side.
I wasn't interested in the Chocolate Cookies and Cream so I was glad the mystery cookie was Lemon Bar. I love lemon so that one took up the 4th slot in the 4-pack I bought.
Red Velvet Cupcake
In order of how they were in my 4-pack left to right, let's start with the Red Velvet Cupcake. I've had other Crumbl red velvet cookies before so I figured I would like this one, especially since it didn't have white chocolate chips to detract from the texture of the cookie.
And sure enough, I really liked this cookie. Loved the red velvet flavor and the texture was perfectly fudgy and chewy. I also like the cream cheese frosting, even though I did have to scrape some of it off. I definitely prefer this version of red velvet vs the ones that have white chocolate chips in them.

Waffle
Unfortunately I was less impressed with the waffle cookie. I thought I would like this one better than I did as the cookie itself is usually what I like best about Crumbl cookies: nice and thick, dense, chewy, brown-sugar based. 
But I made the mistake of going by the recommendation of Crumbl Waffle cookie lovers who said to spread the buttercream dollop evenly over the cookie, pour the syrup over it and eat it warm.
I did all that and the mistake was in pouring the syrup over the whole cookie before trying the cookie without the syrup. Because with the syrup over it, all I could taste was the syrup, not the cookie. It was also messy to wrap and freeze because of the syrup.
So, yeah, no, didn't love this one. If it comes around again, I'll have to try it without the syrup. Maybe I'll like it better then.

Lemon Bar
Fortunately, the Lemon Bar more than made up for the Waffle cookie. I let it come to room temperature first (of course) and it was perfection.
The lemon curd on top was nicely tart and paired well with the sugar cookie base which I also loved since it was thick, dense and chewy. 
This might be one of my favorite lemon-based cookies from Crumbl and I'd definitely get it again. All the other lemon cookies get bumped down the list when they're up against the Lemon Bar.

Fried Ice Cream
I had never had the Fried Ice Cream before. When it came on the menu last year, I had read the "fried" topping was stale or got stale fast so I was leery of getting it. I don't eat any Crumbl cookie all at once, in one sitting or even on the same day. I usually try a piece of the cookie then break up the rest, wrap the pieces and freeze them until later.
Past experience with cereal-esque toppings have taught me those toppings don't fare well being frozen then thawed. They get stale, soft and chewy-not-in-a-good-way. But YOLO so I wanted to try it this time. 
And I'm so glad I did. I loved this cookie as well. I was going to love the cookie base anyway (look at that texture) and I appreciated the frosting wasn't so thick. But the fried topping really made the cookie. Mine was nicely crisp, almost like feuilletine, and made a great contrast with the chewy cookie and the smooth frosting, adding a perfect crunch. The downside was, as I expected, the topping didn't freeze well and wasn't as good when thawed. If I get this again, I'd prioritize eating it sooner than later to avoid having to freeze it.

All in all, this (last week) was a great week for Crumbl flavors. Which turned out to be a good thing because this week (week of June 26, 2023) had nothing that interested me. I'm hoping the mystery flavor this week will be good. Otherwise, it's a (rare) skip week for me at Crumbl.

No comments:

Post a Comment