Sunday, June 4, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #40 - Dirt Cake, Chocolate Milk, Chocolate Peanut Butter ft Oreo (tester), Banana Bread (revisited)

Crumbl Cookies review #40 - Dirt Cake, Chocolate Milk, Chocolate Peanut Butter ft Oreo (tester) and Banana Bread (revisited)
Dirt Cake, Chocolate Milk, Chocolate Peanut Butter ft Oreo, Banana Bread

This was the week I was only going to get one flavor. HAHAHAHAHA *wipes tear*. Let's go down the path of my pretzel-twisty justifications in getting a 4-pack.
Dirt Cake
But first, the Dirt Cake. I often say I find Crumbl's chocolate cookies too rich for me, with the exception of the Oreo-based ones. I had no interest in getting the Dirt Cake but after I had found justification for getting 3 flavors, I *had* to get a 4th as getting 3 singles cost almost the same as getting a 4-pack. I see you, Crumbl finance people who figured that out and encouraged the upsell.
Surprisingly, the cookie itself wasn't as rich as I expected. From the darkness of the chocolate, I suspect some black cocoa or Oreo-ness going on. The cookie was pretty good. The frosting did me in, though. It brought back childhood memories of the canned frosting at the grocery store. I shudder now but as a kid, I loved those things atop a birthday cake. So I enjoyed (small) bites of the Dirt Cake as a walk down memory lane and I'm glad I tried it because now I know but I probably wouldn't get this one again - still too rich for me.

Chocolate Milk
The chocolate milk is the (one) flavor I had actually planned to get this week. It was new in the Crumbl lineup and had been a test cookie in weeks past although my store didn't test this one (that I saw). Although I'm not a fan of the whipped cream toppings, I did like that this was a milk chocolate cookie. Despite Crumbl trying to pit semisweet lovers against milk chocolate lovers (eye roll), I stay out of the online fray about it and simply buy milk chocolate-based cookies to vote with my dollars.
I liked this cookie overall, despite not being a cream or custard-y type dessert person. The cookie base was good and reminded me of a milk chocolate version of the cookie crust of the banana cream pie. I liked the chocolate topping and hardly minded the whipped cream filling sandwiched between the cookie and the chocolate topping.

Chocolate Peanut Butter ft Oreo
Then we come to the tester cookie. In all honesty, if this hadn't been a tester and had just been part of the regular line up, I would've skipped it based on flavor profile alone. Rich chocolate cookie plus peanut butter cream frosting are not my thing. I've realized I don't mind peanut butter when it's in cookie form, although it still wouldn't be my first choice. Why do I keep getting peanut butter things then? Yeah, I don't know either. 
If you're a peanut butter lover, this cookie is for you. If you love chocolate and peanut butter together, this is also for you. The cookie itself was pretty good although I could've done without the peanut butter chips inside it. For me, it's another reminder to "stop getting peanut butter-frosted cookies, you're not as open-minded as you think you are." Lesson learned. Again.

Banana Bread
I was not going to get the banana bread cookie at all. I'd had it from a Crumbl in Vegas and thought it was too dry and bready. But then I thought of how I hadn't liked the lemon poppyseed in Vegas and how I gave it another chance at the Sparks Crumbl. Would this be something like that where I would like it better from a store that made it better?
I'm glad to say that was exactly the case. This time, the banana bread cookie was perfectly (under)done and the texture was soft, dense, chewy and not dry at all. More importantly the banana flavor came though. It was slightly more dense than the banana bread I make but the flavor was just as good.
So it turns out (not surprisingly), the store you go to really matters and how well they make it is all that matters. The Sparks. NV store is now 2 for 2 in elevating my review of certain flavors and revising my opinion of them.
To recap, I only meant to get the Chocolate Milk cookie. Then I wanted to try the Chocolate Peanut Butter ft Oreo because it was the tester cookie. Then I got curious to see if the banana bread cookie would be better at the Sparks store. Once I had talked myself into 3, I had to scramble to pick a 4th and I went with the Dirt Cake. Another reminder that I can justify anything when it comes to cookies and dessert. Good thing I started a new strength training regimen for my exercise routine. *whispers* "not a non sequitur".

No comments:

Post a Comment