Friday, February 9, 2024

Disney Grand Floridian Chocolate Chip Cookies copycat from Mommy Mouse Clubhouse

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
12-ounce bag of chocolate chips
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, brown sugar and powdered sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, until just combined.
  4. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  5. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 330 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space dough balls on baking sheets and bake 12-14 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
I've never been to the Disney Grand Floridian or tried their chocolate chip cookies but a friend mentioned them and wanted my opinion on copycat recipes of the Grand Floridian cookies vs Levain Bakery. I like to have informed opinions so I thought I'd try this copycat. 
There are a lot of copycats out there for the Disney Grand Floridian cookies (who knew?) but I decided you can't go wrong with a blog that's clearly by a Disney aficionado. This also was slightly different than the typical chocolate chip cookie recipe in that it uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar so I figured it'd be worth a try.
The dough handled well and wasn't too soft or sticky. I like to let chocolate chip cookie dough "age" in the refrigerator for at least a day to develop the flavors and I did that with this as well.
The upshot is this is a good cookie. But - and don't come at me, Disney fans - I thought it was just a typical good chocolate chip cookie. It runs more to the bready-chewy side in terms of texture vs the buttery, crisp edges, rich chewy middles side of my more favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes.
I'm sure when you check into the Disney Grand Floridian and get handed warm chocolate chip cookies as part of your experience, it's going to be the best thing ever. In my kitchen, with hundreds, if not thousands, of chocolate chip cookie recipes notched on my baking belt, this is a good recipe that I'm glad I tried but probably won't remember as it didn't stand out. 
We all have different tastes and mine tend to lean more towards the behemoth cookies with crisp edges, caramelized brown sugar-buttery flavor and underbaked middles of Levain Bakery copycats or even the last Gideon's Bakehouse copycat recipe I tried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment