Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #15: Pink Velvet and Lemon Glazed

Crumbl Cookies review #15: Pink Velvet and Lemon Glaze - May 2, 2022
Back in the groove of my weekly Crumbl visit. I gave last week a pass because I wasn't interested in any of the flavors. I might not have been the only one as, for the first time since my store opened (that I'm aware of), it looks like they had plenty of last week's flavors on offer (2nd column from the left, top to bottom: classic oatmeal, brownie batter, peanut M&Ms and confetti cake). Of course, I don't normally go on a Monday either so maybe that's not unusual to have all of them still available. I've gone twice on a Monday before this and they had one or two of the prior week's flavors available but not all of them. Until this week.
In any case, still not interested in last week's flavors so I homed in on my choices for this week: pink velvet and lemon glaze. I have no idea what "pink velvet" is as I've never had it before. I'm not sure what flavor it's supposed to be. You know how red velvet is like chocolate? Pink velvet is not chocolate based. In fact, it seemed like a vanilla sugar cookie colored a pretty pink.
That said, I loved this cookie. It was baked to perfection, not too underbaked and mushy, even when warm, and not overbaked and dry. It was a bit like a thick, soft shortbread which is a little bit of an oxymoron since shortbread is supposed to be more crisp in texture. 
But I can't describe it any other way. It wasn't a super soft, fragile-cakey cookie like some Crumbl cookies are but it was firm enough to hold up the cream cheese frosting. Against all odds, I do like Crumbl's cream cheese frosting, as long as it's not too heavy or too thickly piled on, because it isn't tangy like a typical cream cheese frosting. And no, I don't want to know how much sugar that takes. I enjoyed the pink velvet so much that I ate all of it that same day. It was good warm, it was good at room temperature. I normally pace myself and eat half a cookie flavor a day but, yup, I ate the whole cookie that day. Granted, it was over three separate sitdowns with it but the whole cookie was consumed and enjoyed.

Which, of course, meant the Lemon Glaze had to wait. I did have a bite of the lemon glaze in the car of the Crumbl parking lot (what? who doesn't do that?) and, while the glaze made eating the cookie a little messy, it was worth the mess. It was excellent warm and the lemon flavor was on point. I'm so glad they did this as a glazed cookie and not a frosted one. I've enjoyed their glazed cookies tremendously so far.

If I had one suggestion for improvement, it would be to skip the slice of lemon and sprinkle it with sugared lemon zest bits instead. The lemon slice was just weird. The slice I got was too skinny to treat as a lemon wedge to squeeze over the cookie and having the lemon slice sit overnight over the glazed cookie just made a wet patch over that part of the cookie. Not great. But still, I also loved this cookie. When warm, the cookie is soft, gooey goodness. At room temperature, it was a nicely chewy cookie, of a texture I prefer in my cookies: dense, soft and chewy. The lemon flavor of the cookie was also perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the glaze.
I'd definitely get either or both of these cookies again. 

2 comments:

  1. Your description of the pink velvet is spot on! I had it this week too and loved it! I also agree on the lemon slice not being necessary. I tried the nutella one too and it was a sugar rush to say the least :) Love your Crumbl reviews - keep on munching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the Nutella one! Someone described it as a Ferrero Rocher in cookie form and now I want it, lol. I have one more day to decide if I make another visit to Crumbl :).

      Delete