Sunday, May 15, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #17 - Salted Caramel Cheesecake, Pecan Pie and Pina Colada

Crumbl Cookies review #17: Salted Caramel Cheesecake, Pecan Pie and Pina Colada, May 10 and 14, 2022
It was a 4-pack week again this past week but only because I was visiting my sister and my niece, ergo, more people to share with so I "needed" to get more cookies to try.
The lineup for the week of May 9, 2022

Although, in truth, I only wanted the Salted Caramel Cheesecake and the Pecan Pie. We got the Peanut Butter Bar for my niece's boyfriend and the milk chocolate chip was for her.
Not that we didn't split the other two cookies because we did. Which was just as well so I could keep my Crumbl cookie eating under (a little) control.
I was a little leery of the cheesecake cookie because I'm not a fan of cheesecake. I don't like the tang of cream cheese and the calories aren't often worth it. But, as with some Crumbl cookies, they can change my mind.
Salted Caramel Cheesecake
Case in point, I thought the Salted Caramel Cheesecake was excellent. I loved the cookie base; it was perfectly baked and nicely chewy but still soft without being mushy. The cheesecake topping was lighter than the typical cheesecake filling and didn't have as much "tang" or sourness to it. The salted caramel drizzle was good although, as a caramel fan, I wouldn't have minded if it had been used to flavor the topping a bit rather than just drizzled over the top. But, still, it made for a pretty and tasty cookie. I know cheesecake is supposed to be served chilled but I liked this all the more because it was served warm.

Pecan Pie

Now, let's talk Pecan Pie. This cookie was also amazing. At the risk of sounding immodest, it was like a larger, softer version of the Butter Pecan Tartlets I traditionally make around Thanksgiving as a family favorite dessert. This was delicious. I loved the cookie base and the filling really tasted almost exactly the same as from my tartlet recipe.
The only thing that might make it a bit better is for them to toast the pecans for the added crunch and flavor. Otherwise, I hope they bring this back in the fall as a 4-pack of these would make a great addition for the Thanksgiving table if I'm too lazy or busy to make the tartlets.
You'll notice the Pina Colada cookie wasn't part of the original 4-pack we got. That's because I went back yesterday (Saturday) to get it. I wasn't planning on it because I was supposed to stick to 2 flavors a week but since I shared the Salted Caramel Cheesecake and the Pecan Pie with my sister and my niece, thereby technically eating less than 2 cookies this week, I went back for the Pina Colada.
Pina Colada

I got this one mostly out of curiosity. I'd read such mixed reviews online about it. Some people hated it, thought it tasted "chemical", that you couldn't taste the pineapple, and that it was mostly a coconut cookie. Other people loved it, said it was their favorite cookie, loved the coconut and so on. The only common feedback both groups shared was a general agreement that it was "too sweet".
Okay, given the disparty in opinions, I had to judge it for myself. I'm not normally a fan of fruit cookies. I love pineapple but prefer it in its base state of just as a fruit to be eaten as is, not mixed into other things. Once I got this, I tried a bite chilled and a bite at room temperature. I prefer room temperature.
I do have to agree with the reviews that this is one sweet cookie. I couldn't really taste the pineapple either and even the coconut was subdued under the sugar. I liked the texture of the cookie though. I didn't think it had a chemical taste but I also dumped the maraschino cherry as soon as I got the cookie home. They need to cut back the sugar in the frosting to save this cookie. I didn't think it was horrible but I wouldn't get it again when it comes back around. I'm glad I tried it though so I could see for myself.
Milk Chocolate Chip

Peanut Butter Bar

I can't review the Peanut Butter Bar since I didn't eat it. But my niece said her boyfriend liked it, that the cookie was soft and she (a peanut butter fan) would've preferred the cookie without the fudge frosting as she liked just the peanut butter cookie.

So that's last week's wrap up. Looking forward to the announcement of this coming week's cookies at 5 pm PST tonight. Because that's how obsessions are....

No comments:

Post a Comment