Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #18 - Molten Lava, Teddy Grahams, White Chip and Limeade

Crumbl Cookies review #18 - May 16, 2022: Molten Lava, Teddy Grahams, White Chip and Limeade

Note: I wrote this and the next post before the events of Uvalde. My heart grieves for the children, the teachers and their families. I don't know what else to say. Talking about cookies seems frivolous. I don't know what to say or do anymore. I really don't. Tomorrow I will be back at it, with consumer activism, donating to causes I believe in and urging people to vote. Today I grieve.
I might have done the unthinkable and hit the Crumbl wall. As in, it got to be a little too much sugar for me and I might need a break from Crumbl. I know, I gasped too.
L to R: Peanut Butter, White Chip, Molten Lava, Teddy Grahams

It's probably no wonder though since I've been breaking my "only 2 flavors a week" creed and going for the 4 pack. Or in this case, 5 cookies, this particular week. Although my excuse this week was I was still visiting my sister and my niece, my mom had come down and we were meeting my niece's boyfriend for dinner. So 5 of us for the after-dinner dessert meant 5 cookies, right? Right? Although, I admit, I was probably the only one who tried 3 of the 5 cookies right after dinner. We were all full from dinner, myself included, but I was the only one undaunted and still ate pieces from 3 cookies.
Molten Lava that wasn't so molten

The first piece was from the Molten Lava. I'm a fan of molten chocolate cake so I had high hopes for this cookie, despite my finding most of Crumbl's chocolate cookies a little too rich. This was good and didn't have any weird taste or flavor like their Triple Chocolate. But this was also disappointing because it did not live up to its Molten Lava name.
Sad to say, it didn't have any lava, molten or otherwise. The lighting isn't the best in the picture below but even if you stare and stare at it, you're not going to find much, if any, lava. My guess is they either put in so little that it baked into the cookie itself or they forgot it altogether and all I got was a chocolate cookie. Flavor and texture were good but definitely not as advertised. Disappointed, especially as I've seen other people's cookies (online) that had the actual molten lava in it. #firstworldproblems

Second in the line up was the Teddy Grahams. I had some misgivings about this one because of the honey drizzle since I don't like honey. I know I could've asked them to leave off the drizzle but since, technically, I wasn't going to be the only one eating these, I thought I'd stick to the cookie as it was supposed to be and try it that way. 
Teddy Grahams

That turned out to be a bad decision. I liked the cookie base as it was soft and Crumbl-good in terms of flavor and texture. But the frosting was too much and too sweet, made worse by the honey drizzle. I wouldn't get this one again.
And if I did, I would skip the honey on top and scrape off half the frosting before eating it.

White Chip
So then you'd think I'd like the white chip better because it was unfrosted. It was good but at this point, I think I'd just had too much sugar and was just too full. White chip cookies without macadamias are too sweet for my taste buds. Or at least this one was. Good cookie but it would've been better with toasted macadamias to offset some of the sweetness from the white chocolate.


Limeade

The surprise winner for all of us turned out to be the limeade. I still don't like the random slice of lime (or lemon or any other citrus) on their frosted cookies. I ate the piece without the lime on it. The cookie was soft, almost fragile, but quite good. The lime wasn't that tart but it wasn't as sweet as the frosting on the teddy grahams so I liked it. Loved the cookie. My niece and her boyfriend also picked this one as their favorite of the 5. It also probably helped that I didn't even try the Limeade until the next day when I wasn't quite so stuffed from dinner and 3 pieces from 3 cookies.
Peanut Butter

I got the peanut butter for my niece's boyfriend as peanut butter is his favorite but I didn't try it since peanut butter is not my favorite. I assume this was good, especially if you're a peanut butter lover but turns out he liked the Limeade best.

Overall, I think it was a decent week but I will be skipping next week's (or this week, depending on when I post this) for a couple of reasons, one of which is I need time to process all this sugar out of my system. For posterity, cookies for the week of May 23 that I am skipping (really): Kentucky Butter Cake, Nilla Bean Cupcake, Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip, Berry Crunch and Caramel Coconut Fudge.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I don't feel too bad I missed out on these last week after this review. I was most looking forward to the lava one just for that ooey gooey gushing center - but appears that's not the case. It should be illegal to call it a lava cookie if there's no spewing fudge!

    My heart aches too for the precious lives lost. Prayers for peace and proactivity for our nation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of inconsistencies across the stores on lava, no lava, little lava, lots of lava. I've seen the ones with the molten lava gushing out of the cookie and feel gypped on mine. First world problems! I want to try the Kentucky Butter Cake this week but am not near a Crumbl so will have to miss out. Just as well!

      Delete