Thursday, June 2, 2022

Graham Cracker Cookies

Graham Cracker Cookies - made dough May 8, 2022 from Buns in My Oven 
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla 
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar until creamy and well combined, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl to keep mixture even textured.
  3. Beat in the vanilla and egg until combined.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture in two additions, mixing after each addition until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  5. Portion into golf-ball-sized dough balls (or smaller if you prefer smaller cookies) and evenly space on baking sheets. Bake 7-10 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Do not overbake.
  6. Let rest on baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
I was diligently working on clearing out ingredients in my pantry, including 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, a package of sweetened flaked coconut and half a box of graham cracker crumbs. Enter Nutella Magic Cookie bars which not only uses those ingredients but are easy and ideal to ship in military care packages. However, as it typically turns out, I ran short of graham cracker crumbs and had to buy a new box to use up the sweetened condensed milk and the coconut. Which kinda defeats the purpose of clearing out my pantry.
Rather than be in a continuous cycle of buying more cans of sweetened condensed milk and coconut, enter the Graham Cracker Cookies. Magically I had just enough left in the new box to make these cookies. I was so glad to almost exactly have 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs left that I missed that I had actually made this exact same recipe already, 6 years ago.
Turns out I had two separate pins on pinterest, one from 2016 and one from who knows how long ago before I made them. Both are from different blogs, which is why I missed they were the same. 
But that's okay as they turned out pretty well both times. I vaguely recall these were more graham cracker-y when I first made them back then whereas these were like regular chocolate chip cookies with a little more texture to them.
Regardless, they were still good. I made them a small enough size that a full recipe produced enough cookies to add to 2 care packages, supplemented by brownies and Nutella Magic Cookie Bars.  And now I'm all out of graham cracker crumbs. Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment