Thursday, April 28, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #14: Caramel Cake, Boston Cream Pie and Red Velvet White Chip

Crumbl Cookies - Caramel Cake, Boston Cream Pie and Red Velvet White Chip - April 18, 2022
L-R: Caramel Cake, Red Velvet White Chip, Boston Cream Pie, Carrot Cake

I've been out of the country for almost 3 weeks and therefore missed 2 weeks' worth of Crumbl specialty flavors (*gasp* #FirstWorldProblems). But apparently that just meant that instead of limiting myself to only 2 specialty flavors when I got back, I would get 3. And since I was already going to get 3, I might as well upgrade myself to a 4-pack because it was cheaper per cookie to get 4. I can rationalize anything. But I didn't want the 4th specialty flavor that week as it was snickerdoodle and I had already tried Crumbl's snickerdoodle and didn't think it was special enough to get again. I was also feeling a little salty that they did a repeat of snickerdoodle within less than 2 months whereas I've been waiting for the churro to make a reappearance since December. Fortunately my Crumbl still had the carrot cake from the prior week so I chose that as my 4th cookie.

Red Velvet White Chip

Anyway, let's knock out the easy one first: Red Velvet White Chip. I had actually tried a copycat recipe of this before I'd tasted the Crumbl version. The original Crumbl version was good but, to be honest, it wasn't Crumbl-spectacular. Maybe because I thought the copycat version was already good. It wasn't an exact copycat but the copycat from Lifestyle of a Foodie was just as good or even better. So no need to spend $4.27 next time on this one. 
And despite my not being a frosting person, I think this one could've used a little more dressing up with a cream cheese glaze.
Boston Cream Pie

Boston Cream Pie: ever since the Banana Cream Pie set my expectations so high, I keep wanting that same nirvana in their cream-filled cookies. It was the only reason I tried the key lime pie cookie but that one disappointed me. I'm sorry to say that while this was better than the key lime, the Boston Cream Pie was no Banana Cream Pie. The ganache was fine and I loved the cookie base. But the vanilla pudding was bland and didn't have much flavor, not even vanilla. It was a light topping that was a cross between a pudding and an airy whipped cream (I don't like whipped cream - it's air with calories). If a cream filling wasn't going to have flavor, I would've at least liked a heavier texture, closer to a real pudding. 

I loved the cookie base though and I confess, after the first taste test of 1/4 of the cookie as it was meant to be eaten, I scraped off the filling from the rest of the cookie and just ate the cookie base. No need to eat more calories than necessary so the filling had to go. I wouldn't get this one again.
Caramel Cake

Then we come to the caramel cake. I loved this cookie but my love is conditional: it needs to be eaten warm and it needs to not be too underbaked. Mine was baked just right with the right amount of sweetness from the glaze. At room temperature, it was still good but I liked it better warm. If/when it comes around again, I'd get it if there wasn't another specialty flavor I wanted to try.
So now I'm caught up on all my Crumbl eating and reviewing.

This week's (week of April 25, 2022) flavors don't appeal to me but for posterity, I'm noting they are: Confetti Cake, Original featuring Peanut Butter M&Ms, Brownie Batter, Passion Fruit and Classic Oatmeal. The confetti cake was a possibility but it turns out the sprinkles are in the cookie itself as well as on top and I don't like sprinkles in my baked goods. So it's no Birthday Valentine. I'm indifferent to Peanut Butter M&Ms and I don't like passion fruit so pass on both. I can rationalize not getting the brownie batter because I haven't been enamored of Crumbl's chocolate cookies (the Oreo cookie one being the exception). The Classic Oatmeal got mixed reviews from the Crumbl fan page (dry, bland, good streusel topping, etc) so I'm also passing on that one and would rather wait for the Iced Oatmeal to make a comeback.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I would've made it in last week for the caramel one. It looks right up my alley. I question their decision on the passion fruit option this week - it does nothing for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here on the passion fruit. Some people love it but I’m not one of them. They did right by the caramel cake by not having too much frosting on it as that would’ve overwhelmed the cookie.

      Delete
  2. Caramel cake was surprisingly good! Hopefully the general positive reception to iced oatmeal and caramel cake will convince them to release more glazed/iced cookies.

    Boston cream pie was a fun idea, but I agree that the so-called "pastry cream" was basically just flavorless whipped pudding. My location was very generous with the ganache, though, which probably saved the cookie for me haha.

    I'm one of those who really liked the passionfruit cookie! I like passionfruit in general, but why I really liked the cookie is that it's a more original flavor and not something we've really seen from Crumbl before (at least in my limited experience with them).

    What were your thoughts on carrot cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the carrot cake but more for texture and thickness than as a carrot cake cookie. Mine didn't have enough carrots so it was more of a spice cookie. But I still liked it a lot. https://pastrychefbaking.blogspot.com/2022/04/crumbl-cookie-review-2-apple-pie-and.html

      Delete