Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #5 - Hazelnut Churro and Vanilla Sugar

Crumbl Cookies: Hazelnut Churro and Vanilla Sugar - February 10, 2022
That "gash" you see in the hazelnut churro cookie above wasn't my doing. The store gave it to me that way.  I assume someone accidentally wielded a spatula at the wrong spot on the baking sheet. But no matter, I'm not one to make a fuss over such an inconsequential thing and it didn't affect the cookie other than appearance. This is the literal definition of "don't sweat the small stuff".
I expected to like this cookie a lot. I loved the churro, both a copycat version and the real thing at Crumbl and I love Nutella so I thought this was a shoe-in. Unfortunately, it wasn't. The cookie was a little too underbaked but I can get around that by letting it come to room temperature. The texture is usually fine after that and not too mushy. 
But, sadly (yes cookies can make me sad...or happy), the churro cookie had too strong of a cinnamon flavor that was jarring against the Nutella. I think if they had made it more subtle on the cinnamon, it would've paired better with the Nutella. Instead, the cinnamon fought with the Nutella and I'm not sure who won.
It wasn't bad and the piece I tried without any Nutella in it was just fine as a cinnamon cookie. But this pairing wasn't my favorite. Unless they cut back on the cinnamon flavor, I probably wouldn't get this one again. Not that it was horrible but presumably, I'd want to try other flavors instead of a repeat of this one.
The other cookie I got this week was the Vanilla Sugar. Remember my dissing their traditional Pink Sugar cookie because it had too strong of an almond extract flavor? I don't seem to be the only one who feels that way so Crumbl rolled out a non-almond extract flavor one simply called Vanilla Sugar.
Cue my salivating taste buds. I love this cookie. Amazingly delicate texture and I love the simplicity of the vanilla flavor. No artificial almond extract here. 
I've heard Crumbl plans to alternate the pink sugar and the vanilla sugar each week or couple of weeks and I'm glad to hear it. This way they can cater to both sets of fans. I usually only let myself get two different flavors each week and the vanilla sugar or the milk chocolate will be good fallbacks during weeks when the specialty flavors don't appeal.


2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about hazelnut churro! I love cinnamon and Nutella but they just don't go super well together. I still enjoyed it, though haha.

    ReplyDelete