Friday, April 15, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #12 - Iced Oatmeal, Triple Chocolate, Peanut Butter Snickers and Key Lime Pie

Crumbl Cookies: Iced Oatmeal, Triple Chocolate, Peanut Butter Snickers and Key Lime Pie - March 26, 2022
For this week's lineup, my original two flavors to try were the Iced Oatmeal and the Triple Chocolate. I make oatmeal cookies reasonably often and while I like them (and am more favorably disposed to them than peanut butter cookies), I don't rave about any particular oatmeal cookie. Until now. 

This Iced Oatmeal was delicious, in both flavor and texture. I'm not even sure I can describe why I liked it so much but I did. It was the right thickness, it was moist (most oatmeal cookies tend to be on the drier side) and chewy but not overwhelmed by oats. The cinnamon undertone was perfectly balanced with the light icing glaze. I'm glad it wasn't a frosting but a glaze as I think one of Crumbl's more typical thick layer of frosting would've been too much for this cookie. The light glaze was perfect.
Going in, I thought the Triple Chocolate would be my favorite but nope, it wasn't. In fact, I wasn't impressed with the Triple Chocolate at all. For some reason, the chocolate cookie itself didn't taste like anything special. This is another cookie that goes into the category of something I can make myself and don't need to buy at Crumbl. In fact, I think I prefer the Levain copycat for a chocolate cookie than Crumbl's version.
But wait, there's more. By now you know when you see me buy a 4-pack, I'm taking them as a gift for someone else. I ended up having to make an unexpected (and unwelcome) 300-mile drive out of state. The only silver linings were I got to meet up with an old friend and I brought her a 4-pack of Crumbl.
It gave me a chance to try the key lime and the peanut butter snickers cookies. I also added the Iced Oatmeal and the traditional milk chocolate chip cookie.
I didn't take a close up of the peanut butter snickers because I only had a sliver and you know how I feel about peanut butter. It was more of a dry texture than the moist, chewy, cakey texture so it wasn't going to score high on my taste bud scale regardless.

I had higher hopes for the key lime as I saw so many people raving about it online, the same way I raved about the banana cream pie. So I thought I would give it a try and see if it would overcome my usual bias against creamy desserts. I'm also not a key lime fan. Sadly, this cookie is no banana cream pie. The cookie itself seemed tasteless as was the topping. Someone had recommend squeezing the slice of lime over the cookie before eating and that probably would've given it more flavor. But my friend took the lime garnish off and sliced up the cookie for us to share and I wasn't about to tell her how to eat a cookie. But this was meh at best for me. I don't need to get key lime again, even with a squirt of lime or not. I didn't like the cookie base itself, much less the topping.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, the iced oatmeal was a surprise hit! It's the only one I got that week, since I don't like key lime pie itself so I knew the cookie version wouldn't be for me. Wish Crumbl did icing glazes more often; I know the piped frostings are iconic for them, but they're just too much sometimes. There are some cookies where they just put a glob of chocolate on it (looking at you, buckeye brownie) that would be improved with a chocolate icing glaze instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of their frostings but agree the icings ( so far) have paired well with the cookies they’ve done. You were right to skip the key lime.

      Delete
  2. The oatmeal cookie was so delicious! I hope they do a repeat of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - although it’ll probably be a few months. But that one’s a keeper.

      Delete