Saturday, April 2, 2022

Crumbl Cookies review #1 - Peanut Butter Reese's and Pink Sugar

Crumbl Peanut Butter Reese's and Pink Sugar - October 21, 2021
I'm going to do something a little different for the next few posts. I'm still not trying out new recipes and am mostly baking tried and true ones I've already blogged about, which is what I send out in military care packages for deployed troops. But I don't want my blog to go completely silent until I feel like trying out new recipes so for the next little while, the focus will be on Crumbl cookies (what else?) and my own personal review of the flavors I've tried. I emphasize personal because these are based on my taste buds only, not anyone else's. Lots of people will disagree with me on what I think of the cookies. That's cool. They have their own taste buds and what they like, I have mine.
My obsession for Crumbl has abated (maybe? nah, probably not) but I'm starting from the very first days when there wasn't a local one near me and I had to rely on getting them when I was going somewhere else and there was one nearby or on the way. In the case of these two, they were from my niece and her husband who were visiting and brought me a few. The ones I hadn't tried before were the Reese's and the chilled pink sugar. 

I really wish I was a peanut butter fan. If I was, I think I would be in raptures over this cookie as so many Crumbl fans seem to be. It's a peanut butter cookie, topped with peanut butter and garnished generously with peanut butter cups. Peanut butter heaven if you're a peanut butter lover. Me: it's good, it's fine. Which goes to show what we all already know. Everyone's tastes are different and what one person might love, another might be indifferent over. I was slightly warmer than indifferent, colored by the fact that I appreciated my niece and her husband bringing the cookies in the first place since they know how much I like Crumbl and that I couldn't get it that often back then. This one was awhile ago and I didn't make any notes so I'm only going off memory. IIRC, the peanut butter cookie wasn't cakey but was a more typical peanut butter cookie of being not quite a shortbread but not quite a snickerdoodle texture either. So somewhere in between of a crisp/dry texture, moistened by the peanut butter topping.
I remember the pink sugar cookie more clearly. It's one of Crumbl's signature cookies and up until a month or so ago, a weekly staple along with the milk chocolate chip cookie. The milk chocolate is one of my faves. The pink sugar is not.
I wanted to like it as I do like thick sugar cookies. I don't care for chilled cookies in general so I ate this at room temperature to improve its chances. But, alas, the almond extract flavoring killed this cookie for me. Killed it dead.
I love almonds but I despise the artificial flavor of almond extract. And this cookie had it in spades. I know other Crumbl fans love this cookie and that's fine. I'm not one of them and that's also fine. I always find it a little funny when people get a little, er, heated with their opinions about the various cookies. C'mon, they're cookies. I liked the texture of the cookie but I couldn't get past the strong artificial almond extract flavor So I'm back to defaulting that I enjoyed the thoughtfulness of my niece and nephew-in-law in bringing me the cookies more than the actual cookies themselves. Fortunately, they also brought me the milk chocolate chip cookie and that was always amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment