Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sausage and Cheese Pinwheels

Sausage and Cheese Pinwheels - test run on November 17, 2012

I was testing out a couple of savories ahead of time to make for my dessert party to offset all the sugar.  Normally I would buy some mini quiches (which I did end up doing on party day as I ran out of time!) and other pre-made appetizers and call it a day but I thought I would try the "semi-homemade" approach.  I got the idea for this from pinterest but the original recipe called for making the bread part from scratch.  I knew I wouldn't have that kind of time (and I was right) so I defaulted to crescent roll dough.  Of course I didn't measure anything (I reserve exactness for baking) so below are just the general guidelines.  This is one of those so-easy-even-I-can-make things.  You don't even really need a recipe.  Of course, mine didn't come out as neatly pinwheeled as all the other pictures I've seen.  It's hard to keep that crescent roll dough uniform when you cut it.  But, hey, it still tastes the same.  So if you need a quick appetizer for a holiday gathering, it's hard to go wrong with this one.

1 tube of crescent roll dough
8 ounces ground pork, cooked, drained and cooled, crumbled into bits
1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese

Roll out crescent roll dough and sprinkle evenly with the crumbled pork.  Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.  Roll up dough, jelly-roll style, and slice into 1/2" slices.  Bake according to crescent roll dough package directions.  Serve warm.

2 comments: