Friday, December 28, 2012

Jacques Torres' Chocolate Chip Cookies

Jacques Torres' Chocolate Chip Cookies - made December 17, 2012 from A Tender Crumb

I've been out of town for the holidays and put up a few pre-written posts while I was gone but now I'm back and just in time.  It's National Chocolate Day!  I'm woefully inadequately informed on important foodie days like that (Chocolate Day!!) so I'm caught a little unprepared with some kind of decadent chocolate dessert.  So this chocolate chip cookie recipe will have to be the stand-in. 

I made the dough before Christmas in preparation for a couple of get togethers and a few holiday gifts.  As I've mentioned earlier, every time I have plans to see my friend Todd whose favorite dessert is chocolate chip cookies, I have an excuse to try a new chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I've had this pinned for awhile waiting for one of those Todd occasions.  I made the dough and had it chilling overnight but then got the email that one of our mutual friends had to cancel the dinner so we postponed it until next month.  Same thing happened last time I was supposed to meet with Todd.   Fortunately, chocolate chip cookies are universally welcomed by most of my friends so I had no problem finding other recipients for them for my baking gifts (sorry, Todd).

This was a pretty good recipe, although, to my jaded taste buds, it's always best 10 minutes out of the oven when it's still warm, the edges are crisp and the chips are melt-y.  Once it cooled to room temperature, it was somewhat like your average chocolate chip cookie.  Still good but I have to give the nod to Averie's chocolate chips and chunks cookies as being better at room temp. I did not have pastry flour so I used half all-purpose and half cake flour as a substitute.  Someday I do want to try it with pastry flour though and see how it turns out.

1 pound unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour (I used half all-purpose/half cake flour)
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Guittard milk chocolate chips)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (unless you're freezing the cookies first). Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
  4. Reduce speed to low and add flours, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate; mix until well combined.
  5. Using a 4-ounce scoop for larger cookies or a 1-ounce scoop for smaller cookies, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (or scoop into dough balls and freeze for several hours or overnight).
  6. Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 20 minutes for larger cookies and about 15 minutes for smaller cookies.
  7. Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment