Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cola Cake - Cracker Barrel Style

Cola Cake: Cracker Barrel Style - made December 8, 2012 from Food.com
Slight underbaking problem again
We don't have a Cracker Barrel in my area (that I know of) so I've never eaten there but I've heard about them from friends and they seem to enjoy a lot of comfort food from there.  I found this recipe on pinterest and it looked fairly simple and what I needed to add to my holiday baking gifts since I like giving a variety of different baked goods in one gift pack.  This is similar in concept to the Root Beer Bundt Cake from Baked with the cocoa powder and the soda.  I think this came out a little sweet for me though.  The  texture was moist and fluffy which I like in my cakes but the addition of the cola frosting put the sweetness factor on the higher end.  I think this would be better with a darker chocolate frosting without the cola.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter
1 cup cola, beverage
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
9 tablespoons cola, this should be the remaining cola left in a 12oz can
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups confectioners' sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine flour, granulated sugar and baking soda in mixing bowl. 
  3. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup butter, 5 tablespoons cocoa and 1 cup cola beverage to boiling. (whisk together as it melts).   Pour over the flour mixture and whisk thoroughly. 
  4. Add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.  Pour into prepared 9x13 pan. Bake for 40 minutes. 
  5. During last 10 minutes of baking prepare frosting: place 4 cups confectioners' sugar in a mixing bowl.  In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 9 tablespoons cola beverage. Whisk together. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat, stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Pour over 4 cups confectioners' sugar.  Mix well with a whisk. 
  6. Remove cake from oven.
  7. Slowly pour warm coco-cola frosting over cake. Let cake cool for about an hour before cutting into it.
  Cast Party Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment