Sunday, December 30, 2012

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - made December 15, 2012 from Bake or Break
This is the last new dessert recipe I tried before Christmas and I'm sneaking it in before 2012 ends.  The picture of this cake from Bake or Break looked really good but it was the write up that led me to try this recipe because the author mentioned Billy's Bakery in Manhattan and their banana cake.  The last time I was in Manhattan, I actually had the banana cake from Billy's Bakery and it was fantastic.  Light, fluffy and moist.  Almost as good as my favorite banana cake from Icing on the Cake in Los Gatos, CA.  So of course I had to try this recipe.

Sadly, though, my efforts missed the mark.  I don't know whether I didn't mix the batter enough or beat enough air into it or whether I didn't bake it long enough but mine didn't have the fluffy texture I was hoping for.  The taste was good but this was too dense which points to one of the errors I probably made above.  Back to my quest to find a banana cake similar to Icing on the Cake.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 large egg white, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large ripe bananas
1/4 cup milk

Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons chopped toasted nuts (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, oil, and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. In a separate bowl, mash bananas with milk. Set aside.
  4.  Gradually mix half of dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix in bananas. Mix in remaining dry ingredients. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan.
  5. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. 
  6. To make the frosting: Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and vanilla.  Reduce speed and gradually add confectioners’ sugar. Spread frosting on cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another suggestion might be to do like America's Test Kitchen Banana Bread technique and either freeze and defrost or microwave the bananas and then drain off some of the liquid (http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=25349&incode=M**ASCA00)

    ReplyDelete