Friday, April 26, 2024

Crumbl Cookies review #70 - Caramel Praline

Crumbl Cookies review #70: Caramel Praline - visited April 25, 2024
Caramel Praline
Remember when I said in my last Crumbl review for the Maple Cream Sandwich that I've hit saturation point on Crumbl and their flavors as I felt like I've had all the ones I wanted to try and there weren't that many new-to-me flavors I was interested in?
Menu week of April 22, 2024
This week's menu almost proved my point as I had already tried 5 of the 6 flavors offered in days gone by. I've already had (and reviewed) the Confetti Milkshake, the Galaxy Brownie, the Strawberry Cupcake, the Snickerdoodle, and of course, the Milk Chocolate Chip.
Fortunately, however, the 6th flavor this week, Caramel Praline, was new to me and I was interested in trying it. As always, I'm not a fan of nuts in my cookies but these appeared to just be on the outside so I could live with that. Plus, the caramel topping beckoned since Crumbl does such a nice job with their caramel. "Come try me," it seemed to say. "You know you want to." I did so I did.
I still don't love nuts in my cookies but the pluses of this cookie outweighed that. The caramel was a bit sticky and thin, as opposed to the caramel used in say, the revamped Salted Caramel Cheesecake, which was thicker and more silky but it was still good nonetheless. But what really sold me on this cookie was the texture.
Crumbl really nails texture on most of their cookies and a big reason I keep coming back. What impressed me about this one was the edges were crisp and light, almost airy, while still being chewy. The middle was the perfect soft, slightly underbaked texture I like. Combined in one cookie, that's a great baking feat. Usually (thick) chocolate chip cookies can also achieve that combination but mostly the ones that tend to be on the buttery side. This was not overtly buttery/greasy.

The only other thing I could pick on about this cookie is, despite the claim of being a brown sugar cookie, it didn't have a lot of flavor. Usually brown sugar cookies are a bit maple-y or have caramel overtones. This did not. It didn't seem that sweet either, despite the caramel. Maybe they cut back on the sugar because of the caramel? I'm not complaining about it as for me the texture makes the cookie. It might've had more flavor from the nuts if they'd toasted it first prior to baking but I imagine they didn't want the nuts to burn if they went in already toasted. Either way, it's still a good cookie. But I'd go for the texture more than the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment