This recipe is from Godiva so of course they list their brand of chocolate but this worked perfectly fine with Valrhona that I bought at Trader Joe's. I only had a sliver for the taste test because I was baking this for Zoe's bake sale but it seemed like a good standard fudgy brownie.
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
5 bars (1.5 ounces each) GODIVA Dark Chocolate, chopped (I used Valrhona)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil so that foil extends 2 inches beyond two opposite sides of pan. Lightly butter bottom and sides of foil-lined pan.
- In medium saucepan, combine butter pieces, brown sugar and chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until butter and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth. Transfer to medium bowl.
- With wooden spoon, stir in granulated sugar. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until there is no trace of yolk. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour and salt and mix vigorously until mixture is shiny and smooth. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top with rubber spatula
- Bake brownies for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out slightly moist. Do not overbake. Place pan on wire rack and let cool for 45 minutes. Using two ends of foil as handles, lift brownies out of pan. Invert onto cooling rack and peel off foil. Let cool completely (brownies will be frosted on smooth side).
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1.5 ounces dark chocolate
1.5 ounces milk chocolate
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place butter and chocolate in medium saucepan. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly, until butter and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth. Transfer to bowl of electric mixer. On low speed, add half of confectioners' sugar, salt, then half of heavy cream. Blend in remaining confectioners' sugar and remaining heavy cream. Beat in vanilla extract. Beat frosting on medium speed for 30 seconds or until smooth and shiny.
- Spread frosting over uncut brownies, smoothing the top. Garnish with nuts, toffee or M&Ms as desired. Cut into 9 squares and serve at room temperature.