Thursday, October 17, 2013

Warm Mix-in-a-Mug Chocolate Cake

Warm Mix-in-a-Mug Chocolate Cake - made September 11, 2013 from One Bowl Baking by Yvonne Ruperti
If you've noticed I've tried a few recipes from One Bowl Baking by Yvonne Ruperti lately, it's because I was testing them out for a cookbook review.  So far I've tried out her fudgy brownie recipe, Fluffy Yellow Sheet Cake, Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies and Lunchbox Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. You can read my cookbook review on the Stir It Up section of the Christian Science Monitor here.  As part of my recipe testing, I also tried out this recipe for a single serving chocolate cake.  I normally don't make microwave desserts since that always feels like "cheating" and technically isn't really baking since I normally associate baking as being done in an oven. But I do make these (feeble) attempts to get out of my comfort zone and there's nothing like chocolate to mitigate any unease in risk taking.
The premise of One Bowl Baking is you only need one bowl to do all your mixing in and not a lot of fancy equipment to make something delicious.  In this case, you don't even need a bowl, just a mug to mix, microwave and eat from. The recipe is as easy as that sounds.  I did have to mentally adjust my baking instincts because I don't normally measure flour or sugar in measurements as small as a teaspoon or tablespoon.  But that's the point of an individual-size dessert; by definition, it's only meant for one.

Which is actually quite handy in this case because this literally took less than 5 minutes to throw together in the mug, mix and microwave.  Included in the 5 minutes was even a minute or two of cooling time before I topped it with ice cream and tried it.  The cake texture was a little dense, almost like a flourless chocolate cake but not as creamy but it was cooked (microwaved?) to doneness.  I wouldn't overcook this or it'll be tough. Don't expect the fluffy texture of a baked cake either, not unless you can time it perfectly to the point of "done" but not underdone or dry.  I added the ice cream as a personal preference to cut the richness. I don't know that this would replace a good slice of chocolate cake for me but as a quick dessert to throw together for one, it fit my need for something sweet (and chocolaty) after dinner with little cleanup and no leftovers.

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the cup
Pinch salt
2 teaspoons water
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
Pinch baking soda
1 tablespoon bittersweet chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips)

1.       Butter a large microwave-safe mug.
2.       Add the brown sugar, butter, salt, water, and vanilla to the mug and stir to combine.
3.       Add the flour, baking soda and chips and stir until just combined.  Press the dough into the bottom of the mug.
4.       Microwave on high power just until the dough puffs and doesn’t look wet, about 45 seconds.
5.       Remove from the microwave and let rest for 5 minutes before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment