Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Restaurant Review: Blue Moon Fish, Ft Lauderdale, FL

Blue Moon Fish Co, Ft Lauderdale, FL - lunch on September 24, 2013
For the last two weeks, I've criss-crossed the country coast to coast twice on 2 separate business trips. It was exhausting but now I'm back home for awhile.  Fortunately, there's good food to be had in many parts of the country and even more fortunately, I have coworkers who know where to take me when I'm in town. I've been to this particular restaurant, Blue Moon Fish, several times on previous visits when my boss would take our team out for a team dinner when I was in town.  But this was the first time I'd gone there for lunch.
One of my favorite coworkers from our company HQ took me there, partly because they serve good food, partly because it was near the office, and partly because for lunch, everything's 2 for 1.  Yep, buy 1 entree, get a 2nd of equal or lesser value for free. Same with drinks, appetizers, and (of course) dessert.  Which makes it an excellent deal because Blue Moon Fish isn't cheap but the food is worth it.  We got there before it was too crowded and were able to get a table in the covered, air-conditioned patio.  Air conditioning is a must in humid, warm South Florida, especially to a spoiled weather princess like me.  Patio seating was terrific because we had a great view of the water from our table.
10-ounce Short Rib Burger with fries
When I'd eaten at Blue Moon Fish before, I'd always gotten a seafood entree, typically scallops and/or shrimp or some kind of fish.  I mean, it's a seafood restaurant, it's in South Florida, it's right by the water, there's "fish" in its name and past experience has proven they have very good seafood.  But this time around, I got a burger and fries :).  That's what my coworker ordered and it sounded good to me.  Plus, with the 2 for 1 thing, it was just easier to get the same thing. And I can pretend it was for reasons other than I just wanted French fries.  In any case, it turned out to be a good choice because the burger was delicious and the fries lived up to expectations: crisp on the outside, mealy on the inside. 
Icky Sticky Caramel Bread Pudding
But let's be honest, even more than the fries, I really cared about dessert.  And remember, 2 for 1 means we had to get 2 desserts.  Fortunately, it wasn't hard to choose which ones we wanted: the Icky Sticky Caramel Bread Pudding and the molten chocolate cake.  On Blue Moon Fish Co's website menu, it lists the first as Icky Sticky Caramel Tarte but I don't know if they changed it because I distinctly thought it was a bread pudding rather than a tarte.  Because all things delicious stick in my memory.
Liquid Center Double Chocolate Torte
I'm normally all about the chocolate desserts and the chocolate torte was good too but if I had to choose 1 (when there's no 2 for 1 deal, ha), I'd go with the Icky Sticky Caramel - it was that good. Still, you can't go wrong with either and I'm sure the rest of the dessert menu is also mouthwatering.  I've been to Blue Moon Fish at least 3-4 times and I haven't had anything that wasn't scrumptious and worth every calorie.

According to its website, the restaurant has been open for over 16 years and is owned/operated by 2 chefs, one a graduate of the California Culinary Academy and the other the Culinary Institute of America, my alma mater, except he graduated from the main campus in Hyde Park, NY while I only did the certification program in Baking & Pastry Arts in St Helena, CA.  These guys know how to make great food.  If you're ever in Ft Lauderdale, I highly recommend Blue Moon Fish Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment