Friday, October 18, 2013

Restaurant Review: Kaluz, Ft Lauderdale, FL

Kaluz - dinner on October 2, 2013
If you've been tracking my last few restaurant reviews, by now you're probably assuming I did nothing on either of my Florida trips but eat.  Never fear, I also worked (a lot) and exercised (could've done more) in the hotel gym.  But I don't take pictures of myself doing either of those things so you will have to make do with the food pics.  Although this set didn't really come out since I was taking them with my iphone and the lighting wasn't very good.  You can't read "Kaluz" in the above sign but that is what it says.  I just liked the picture because of the palm trees with a backdrop of the falling night sky.
The pictures get a little worse inside because of the bad lighting - at least bad for pictures but I imagine restaurant diners really don't want to be flooded with bright florescent lights so they settle for the mood lighting.
The glass case didn't let me take a good shot but here's their wine bottle display
The bar area
I went to Kaluz with several of my coworkers from our offsite as it was near our hotel and we had heard the food was good.  The appetizer was a flatbread BBQ chicken pizza that we all shared.  It was pretty good and as always, I judge any pizza by its crust.  I'm less picky with flatbread pizza because all I ask for is a crisp crust at the edges that's also chewy and not too soggy in the middle.  This was a little soggy but not enough to mar the taste.
BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza appetizer
Kaluz has a variety of items on its menu so everyone was able to find something to their taste.  For the Tuna Tartare, my coworker had our waitperson verify the tuna was from the Atlantic, not the Pacific, in case anyone goes there and wants to know before they order it.  (We still have concerns about any fish from the Pacific given the nuclear accident in Japan.)
Tuna Tartare
Rack of Lamb
I pretty much threw caution to the winds and ordered the Kaluz Danish Ribs.  I figured anything with the restaurant's name in the title of the dish is going to be good and it was.  My order came with two sides so I opted for the sweet potato fries and the Crab Mac n Cheese.  No, this was not a light dinner.
Kaluz Danish Ribs with Sweet Potato Fries
I think I surprised my coworkers by how handily I made it through the plate of ribs.  I didn't eat all of it but I made enough of a dent that it was noticeable and I might've taken one of them aback at how much I could pack away, lol. Sorry, Dave, no dainty appetite here.
Crab Mac n Cheese side dish
Cedar Plank Salmon - they really do serve it on a plank
But, not to worry, there's always room for dessert - the Macadamia Caramel Brownie which, by the name alone, is going to be good, and because we were in Florida, someone ordered the Key Lime Pie.  I didn't have enough room to try the pie but I made good inroads into the brownie.  I did share but the others were probably as full as I was so I'm not sure I could really hold anyone responsible for consuming the brownie as much as I did.
Macadamia Caramel Brownie
Key Lime Pie
Fortunately, once we finished dinner and went back to the hotel, despite the late hour, I did persuade myself to go to the gym and workout for an hour.  So there was balance once again in my universe.  Sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment