Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #56 - Oatmeal Mallow and Graham Cracker Fudge Sandwich (test cookie)

Crumbl Cookies review #56 - Oatmeal Mallow and Graham Cracker Fudge Sandwich (test cookie) 

Believe it or not, I'm slowing down on my Crumbl consumption. I know, I know, you can't tell by the number of Crumbl posts I'm still making. And Crumbl cookies I seem to keep buying. I keep telling myself to skip a week or three, just to catch up with the stash in my freezer, most notably the 6-pack I bought during their birthday promotion, which is almost entirely still intact, given I only eat 1/4 of a cookie a day.

But, alas, I'm not always good at listening to myself and there was one cookie I wanted to try in the regular lineup this particular week and that was the Oatmeal Mallow Sandwich. Crumbl's been doing a fair number of sandwich cookies lately which is a better value when shelling out almost 5 bucks for a cookie which is technically two cookies and a filling when you get a sandwich cookie. Good value, right? The finance nerd in me and the first generation immigrant who grew up shopping sales and clipping coupons can't resist it. Or so I tell myself.
Oatmeal Mallow Sandwich Cookie

In any case, my rationalization was justified as I enjoyed this cookie. I let it come to room temperature first (can't abide chilled cookies). At room temp, the cookies are softer in texture and the filling is more mushy. I would probably have eaten this more neatly if the cookies were room temp and the filling was chilled but neatness be damned as this was a really good cookie. The cookies themselves were not quite as good as the oatmeal cookies used with the Iced Oatmeal but still very good nonetheless. Perfect balance of flavor and texture. It is a bit sweet so I ended up scraping most of the filling out and just enjoying the cookies.



Graham Cracker Fudge Sandwich
One of the main reasons I find it difficult to "just skip a week" is the test cookie. My store is a tester store and nearly every Wednesday they offer a test cookie flavor. Only a handful of stores are test stores and I feel I need to support my store and show my approval of their tester status by buying their test cookie each week. Yeah, I'm loyal like that. Ha.
This week's test cookie was another sandwich cookie. Value galore this week, amiright?
If you like the Keebler fudge striped cookies, you'd like this cookie. If you're a s'mores fan, you'd like it better if the filling was marshmallow instead of fudge. I've seen pictures online from other tester stores where they weren't as generous with the fudge filling as my store was (shoutout to the Sparks store as they deliver every time). 
I am neither a Keebler fudge striped cookie fan nor a s'mores fan so, to me, this cookie was good, but not great. Nothing wrong with it. The cookie texture was on point, the graham cracker flavor came through and I even enjoyed the filling which reminded me of the frosting on the Crumbl Dirt Cake cookie. But my sweet tooth would've preferred more of a brown sugar base cookie instead of a graham cracker one. Which would defeat the purpose of a graham cracker fudge sandwich. So I think this cookie delivers what it promises. It doesn't hit my top 5 but goes into the category of "good, glad I tried it, don't need to get again". 
This was also chilled so that's probably another reason I'm not a big fan. It tastes better at room temperature. Between the two (chilled, sandwich) cookies this week, Oatmeal Mallow was the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment