Friday, October 6, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #55 - Pumpkin Cheesecake and Purple Velvet (test cookie)

Crumbl Cookies review #55 - Pumpkin Cheesecake and Purple Velvet (test cookie), visited September 27, 2023
Yes, it was a 6-pack week when these came out. But only because Crumbl ran a promotion for their 6th birthday and you could get a 6-pack for the price of a 4-pack. You think I'm passing that up? Nope.
Okay, it also helped that this particular week, two of my favorite flavors were on the menu: banana cream pie and pink velvet. Yum. I had to get two each of those to fill out my 6-pack (the box, definitely not my abs).

Banana Cream Pie

Pink Velvet

Pumpkin Cheesecake
The new flavor for the week was Pumpkin Cheesecake so I got one to try. I don't mind pumpkin in most things (don't like pumpkin pie though) since it's a mild flavor. I'm not big on cheesecakes but Crumbl usually sugars their "cheesecake" cookies enough to take the tang out so I normally don't mind it in their cookies.

This one was okay. I think if you're a pumpkin or a cheesecake lover, you'd like this cookie. I liked the base cookie well enough as I generally do but if I had to have a cheesecake cookie, I prefer the salted caramel cheesecake one.
This goes into the category of "it was good, glad I tried it, don't need to get again".

The test cookie for this particular week was purple velvet. It got a lot of negative reactions online, seemingly mostly from people who reacted to the appearance rather than the taste as many hadn't tried it but saw pictures online or in the Crumbl app.

I absolutely get the reaction to the appearance. Usually when I see something edible that's purple, I think of ube. This is not ube flavored. To be honest, this is like the pink velvet cookie but dyed purple. I actually liked it because I like the pink velvet but I wasn't crazy about the purple color.

But the texture was good - I'm a big fan of the texture on most Crumbl cookies. Not a fan of the fat swirl of frosting but I expected not to be. Ultimately though, in a blind taste test, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the pink velvet and the purple velvet. If I were Crumbl, I wouldn't make this a regular cookie. There's no need to; it isn't different enough from their pink velvet cookie other than the dyed color.

No comments:

Post a Comment