Monday, October 30, 2023

Grandma Lilly's Brownies from Lisa Yockelson

Grandma Lilly's Brownies - made October 22, 2023, modified from Brownies and Blondies by Lisa Yockelson
1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped black walnuts, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  3. In the top half of a double boiler set over hot water, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate, whisking until completely melted and smooth.
  4. Beat sugar into melted butter-chocolate mixture. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
  5. Add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Do not overmix.
  6. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Back to my baking books for this one. I'm either trying to get the number of "recipes need to try" down on my pinterest boards or getting more use out of my baking books. This is from my cookbook library and a very old slim book I bought long ago in a used bookstore. Lisa Yockelson is one of the premier cookbook authors who offers a plethora of reliably good brownie recipes.
I will confess though that my palate isn't discerning enough to tell the difference between all the different recipes she has for brownies. Whether it contains more or less flour, cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, sugar, eggs or whatever. I just know they're typically going to be fudgy and good.
This was as well, although I made the recipe in a 9 x 9-inch baking pan, not the 9 x 13 one that the original recipe called for. Baking in the larger pan would've made the brownies too thin for my liking. 
The two drawbacks to this one though is it made a crust and it was more sweet than chocolatey. Some people like a crust on their brownies but not me. I also prefer more of a chocolate flavor than a sweet one. This is still a good fudgy brownie so it was worth trying. I have more brownie recipes from her books to try and will be testing those out, mostly just to do something different than my usual go to brownie recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment