Friday, August 25, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #47: Hummingbird Cake and Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Chip

Crumbl Cookies review #47: Hummingbird Cake and Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Chip, visited August 19. 2023
Hummingbird Cake cookie

This week's (now last week) new flavor that I wanted to try was the Hummingbird Cake cookie. Hummingbird Cake is typically a combination of carrot, banana, pineapple and nuts. It's got a lot going on so it's not my favorite cake (I'm a purist)  but I've had good hummingbird cake before so I know it can be good. 

I'm not a fan of nuts in my cakes or cookies but since they were just a garnish on top of the frosting rather than baked into the cake itself, I was willing to put pecan prejudices aside.
I have mixed feelings about this cookie. As a carrot cake cookie with overtones of cinnamon, hey, thumbs up. As an actual hummingbird cake cookie, I couldn't find a scrap of pineapple or banana flavor. Like, not at all. Much less actual bits of pineapple or banana. It's actually hard to disguise banana as it tends to be a strong flavor but Crumbl's Hummingbird Cake cookie managed it. 
That said, it's a good carrot cake with cinnamon overtones cookie. Just not really a hummingbird cake in cookie form.

Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Chip
I also have mixed feelings about the Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Chip, my store's mystery cookie this particular week, mostly because my expectations seems to be misaligned with Crumbl's on what constitutes an oatmeal cookie.
My definition of an oatmeal cookie has - well - oatmeal in it. And typically that it contains more oats than flour. Crumbl's version appears to be their regular milk chocolate chip cookie with a handful of oats thrown in. And by handful, I mean the handful of a 3-month-old baby who can't quite grasp anything yet.
Okay, that sounds a little snarky but seriously, the first bite or two, I thought they'd given me the regular milk chocolate chip by mistake. I had to take a couple of the inside pictures and enlarge the photo to see, why yes, there IS an oat in there. Look closely, can you see it? LOL. Fortunately, though, I do like Crumbl's regular milk chocolate chip cookie so I didn't mind this cookie. It's just not really an oatmeal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment