Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies from Lifestyle of a Foodie

Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies - made dough August 18. 2023 from Lifestyle of a Foodie 
8 tablespoons butter, divided
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
  1. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Let boil, stirring constantly until brown bits have formed and mixture smells nutty. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the brown sugar, melted and cooled browned butter and remaining 4 tablespoons butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  4. Add in egg and vanilla, mixing until just combined.
  5. Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mixing on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
  6. Scoop dough into small dough balls and roll in granulated sugar. Evenly space on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 9 minutes and remove from oven. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
I went through a period of several weeks where I didn't feel like baking. Yes, pigs flew out of the mouth of Hell with icicles poking their butts. It's rare but those times do happen. I was in a baking slump where I just didn't feel like it. None of my pinned recipes on Pinterest were interesting and I had even less interest in the recipes in my baking books. I still sent care packages for deployed military service members during this time but ordered them from Operation Cookies, a veteran-owned small business who ships to APO and FPO addresses, rather than baking them myself.
Fortunately, the slump and baking apathy passed and I was finally able to get back to it last weekend. Also fortunately, I broke the dry spell with this really good recipe from Lifestyle of a Foodie. I've had great luck with her Crumbl copycat recipes so I figured it would be a sure bet to go with any of her recipes, Crumbl copycat or not.
Turns out it really was a sure bet as these brown sugar cookies were delicious. The texture was good as was the flavor. Since the main sweetener was, not coincidentally, brown sugar, the cookies have an almost maple flavor but it was more caramel than maple. I'm not a huge maple fan but I do love the caramelized flavor of brown sugar. This is a good, no-fuss, easy-to-make, delicious cookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment