Friday, February 28, 2020

Chocolate Chip Cookies from Baking is a Science

Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough February 17, 2020 from Baking is a Science
I'm trying  to space out the chocolate chip cookie recipes but you'll notice I've been making them a lot. Different recipes, sure, but still chocolate chip cookies.
That's mostly because I'm sending them in care packages to deployed military service members and also for my sister (she's a realtor) when she does Open Houses and wants fresh homemade cookies to serve. Who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies? (If you raise your hand, don't bother, I can't see you.)
But being me, I almost always have to try out a new recipe when I need chocolate chip cookies. The good news is I can usually tell if a recipe will turn out so there's little risk. Plus I make my own adjustments to stack the odds for success: freeze the dough, bake from frozen dough, underbake.
The bad news? I make so many recipes that I usually can't distinguish one from another. If they're good, I give them away and move on to the next recipe. A recipe has to be REALLY GOOD for me to remember it a day later. Mostly because I bake chocolate chip cookies so often that even the good recipes blend in my head.
So don't take it as a bad sign if I say these were great but I probably won't remember them a day after I make them. They're good, they're great, they're like many other good/great recipes I've tried. Bonus points that  they didn't spread like some other recipes, even baking in high altitude with my oven.


1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (7 ounces) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) bread flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
  2. Add egg and vanilla; mix only until just incorporated.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. 
  4. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture; mix just until combined. If dough is dry, finish mixing by hand. Fold in chocolate chips. 
  5. Form dough into golf-ball size dough balls. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Bake or freeze after chilling.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment