Sunday, February 9, 2020

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies - made dough February 5, 2020 from Together as a Family
Unfortunately I have to confess I didn't love these like I thought I would. You have to click on the recipe title link to go to the original blog where I got the recipe. You'll clearly see from that blog's pics that mine didn't come out like hers. And her pictures are what sucked me in.

Don't get me wrong; these were still good. But they spread more than I expected and I'd wanted them thicker and more dense. I think part of the problem is I didn't follow my cardinal rule of chilling or freezing the dough first then baking from frozen dough. That helps with the spread issue.That was just greed on my part because her pics looked so good that I wanted to try the cookies as soon as I made the dough. My sin of gluttony was not rewarded in this case.
P.S. After I wrote the above, I did bake the remaining dough after freezing them. While they didn't spread as much, they still didn't look like the original blog pics from Together as a Family. If you like coconut, these are still good cookies. They're not as pretty as they could be. I always wonder if baking at slightly higher altitude is ruining my cookie game. Mine took over 15 minutes to bake to this state and they're weren't overbaked. They could've even used another minute in the oven.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt; whisk to combine and set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sweetened condensed milk and butter. Beat together for 1-2 minutes or until completely combined and creamy.
  4. Add the dry ingredients, mix to combine. Add coconut, chocolate chips and nuts, if using. Mix with wooden spoon just until combined.
  5. Roll dough into golf-ball-size balls and evenly space on cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes (mine took about 15 minutes). If you want uniformly flat(ter) cookies, press bottom of glass in the center of each cookie while hot. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment