Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Cookie Butter Rice Krispie Treats

Cookie Butter Rice Krispie Treats - made February 8, 2020 from Mallow and Co

One of my guilty pleasures is Rice Krispie Treats. I don't make them that often because I'd eat them. Yes, Virginia, there is logic in that. I still remember when I worked at Yahoo!, they'd have these big blocks of Rice Krispie treats at the cashier checkout station in the cafeteria. More often than not, one of those blocks would be in my tray as part of my lunch. The block was so thick, it was hard to take a full-on bite. I had to nibble around it sometimes. But ask me if I minded. Heck, no.

But it had to be "homemade" Rice Krispie treats (I count whoever made it in the Yahoo! kitchen cafe as an extension of my home kitchen because they got it right). I tried the packaged ones at the store. Um, no. Too sweet (yes, the irony) and too processed-tasting. And, although there are all sorts of different varieties and flavors of Rice Krispie treats, I prefer them plain. Butter, melted marshmallows, vanilla extract and Rice Krispies. That's all you need.

But, I did spread my taste-bud wings to allow for the addition of cookie butter in these Rice Krispie treats. Because...cookie butter. And I wasn't wrong. If you didn't know there was cookie butter in these, you might not recognize the flavor or you might think it was just a really good Rice Krispie treat. It is because, once again....cookie butter. So easy to make and one of my fellow Angel Bakers from Soldiers Angels confirmed they're good to send in care packages and are a popular item among the deployed service members. So into the vacuum seal bags and USPS flat rate boxes these go. Otherwise I would've eaten the whole pan. No joke.


4 tablespoons butter
3./4 cup cookie butter
6 cups mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups rice krispies
  1. Line 9 x 9 baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. (If you want thinner treats, use a 9 x 13 pan like I did.)
  2. Pour the rice krispies in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
  3. Melt the butter and cookie butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Once melted and whisked together, add the marshmallows. Stir until they are mostly all melted then stir in vanilla.
  4. Once fully melted, take off the heat and pour over the rice krispies. Stir slightly to combine then dump into prepared pan. Spread into an even layer.  Cool then cut into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment