Sunday, February 16, 2020

Irish Potato Bread

Irish Potato Bread - made January 10, 2020 from Bunny's Warm Oven
This recipe happened because I bought a bag of potatoes from Costco for the mashed potatoes at Christmas lunch and still had more than half a bag left over. I've always liked potato bread from when my mom made it as a kid. But her recipe used those mashed potato flakes and I wanted/needed to use real potatoes.
I also like baking bread in my cast iron skillet because a) I don't use my cast iron enough and b) cast iron skillets make great crusty bread. I was also going for that rustic, homemade look, not a neat Wonder-bread-loaf style of bread. Rustic and homemade are definitely what I got with this recipe. It has the added advantage of being no-knead so it was easy to mix together and bake. I think I could've baked it a little longer though as the inside was a bit heavy and mushy. But, still, it was pretty good even warm and slathered in butter. What bread isn't?? Next time though, I'd bake it a little longer.

3/4 cup cooked mashed potatoes
3/4 cup raw grated potatoes, skins peeled, grated, drained
1 egg
1 egg white
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Place the mashed potatoes and raw grated potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined. Add the egg, egg white, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, milk and oil to the bowl. Whisk until completely combined.
  3. In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir to combine. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
  4. Lightly flour countertop, place the soft dough on top of it and knead 6-7 times. Gather the dough up and form into a ball. Place in an oiled 8-inch cast iron pan. Using a serrated knife, cut an x on top of the dough.
  5. Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden brown on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment