Thursday, February 20, 2020

Snickerdoodles from Just So Tasty

Snickerdoodles - made dough January 14, 2020 from Just So Tasty
This is a good, basic snickerdoodle recipe. It puffed up so promisingly in my oven while it was baking but then collapsed to a flattened state when I took it out. Now I expect a little collapse since I underbake my cookies but I wish they hadn't spread so much or collapsed so thinly.

I'm starting to figure out (finally) that it could possibly be baking at a higher altitude and that my oven doesn't get as hot as it should. I did buy an oven thermometer to check and I think my oven bakes unevenly. I need to do a little more testing but in the meantime, I'm starting to preheat it at a higher temperature than the recipe calls for and I keep it on an extra 5 minutes after it reaches the set temperature before I put the cookies in. We'll see if that works any better.

Or sometimes, it really is the recipe. Not sure of the case here. These were still tasty snickerdoodles but for a slightly thicker cookie, I'd probably still go back to my favorite recipe for snickerdoodles from Sally's Baking Addiction.

1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar until fluffy.
  3. Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, cream of tartar, baking soda and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
  5. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, 1/2 at a time, just until combined.
  6. In a shallow bowl, stir together the 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
  7. Form the cookie dough into golf-ball size balls, roll in cinnamon sugar and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
  8. Bake for 7-9 minutes or just until the edges are set and the middles no longer look raw. Do not overbake.

No comments:

Post a Comment