Sunday, March 1, 2020

Instant Pot Korean Beef

Instant Pot Korean Beef - made February 19, 2020, modified from I Heart Eating
After going through such a cooking storm at the end of last year, I completely lost my cooking mojo and have been living off frozen dinners (hello, Lean Cuisine), rotisserie chicken (Costco is my friend) and takeout (Panda Express, less of a friend but still a good acquaintance).

But as I was finally finishing up the leftover ham from Christmas (paced out thanks to storing portions in the freezer), I also decided I should try being a grown up again and adult myself to cooking a dish. Thankfully, with an Instant Pot, adulting is a little less painful.

Mix together ingredients, throw stuff in the Instant Pot and go away for an hour. Works for me. This turned out pretty well. You can increase the Gochujang if you like your meals with more kick but the 2 tablespoons was fine for me. I also thickened up the sauce (which initially had the consistency of thin gruel) with some cornstarch and let it boil for a few minutes. With some steamed rice to sop up the sauce and the beef becoming tender thanks to the pressure cooking, this is a quick, easy to make dish. My kind of cooking.

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup beef broth
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons Gochujang sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3-4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together ingredients except for chuck roast.
  2. Place cubed roast in Instant Pot. Pour sauce over meat. 
  3. Close the lid, making sure the pressure release valve is turned to "sealing".
  4. Press the Meat program button and set time to 40 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, keep pot closed for 25 minutes for the natural pressure release.
  5. Turn the pressure release valve to venting to allow any pressure to dissipate. Remove lid. If sauce is too thin, remove half a cup to a small bowl and whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch to make a slurry. Turn pot to "saute" and add slurry back in. Stir, until sauce is desired thickness. Serve hot with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment