Thursday, March 5, 2020

Nutella and Hazelnut Crispy Rice Cereal Treats

Nutella and Hazelnut Crispy Rice Cereal Treats - made February 27, 2020 from America's Test Kitchen Everything's Chocolate
Ever since I made the Cookie Butter Rice Krispie treats, my mind - and palate - have been open to this concept of "dressing" up plain Rice Krispie treats. My simple tastes usually make me prefer the original but I liked the cookie butter one so much that I decided to try this Nutella version from my new cookbook.

Yes, I bought a new cookbook. Three of them, as a matter of fact but I haven't made anything yet from the other two (stay tuned, it won't be long, I bet). After being good for so long and not buying any, I bought 3 within a week. I'm not even sorry about it either so you know it's been awhile since I've indulged.

Anyway, hello Nutella Rice Krispies treats. They're as easy to make as the plain ones. Just make sure you have all your ingredients measured out and ready to go so once the marshmallows are just barely completely melted, you can add everything in. It doesn't do to let your melted marshmallows cook for too long or they'll harden and get even more rubbery (why, yes, that's the voice of experience you're hearing).

Despite the Nutella addition, these aren't super Nutella-y and still stay true to that Rice Krispies treats flavor. It helps to add the chopped toasted hazelnuts though to really bring that nutella and hazelnut flavor home. I liked these. I shared them with some former coworkers when we had a reunion breakfast as well as shipped them out in care packages for deployed service members. I love Rice Krispies treats so I'm glad to add another version to my repertoire.
8 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 (10-ounce) packages marshmallows
1/2 cup Nutella
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 cups (10 ounces) crisped rice cereal
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and chopped
3 ounces milk chocolate, chopped (optional)
  1. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Melt butter in a large pot. Add marshmallows, Nutella, vanilla, espresso powder and salt. Cook, stirring often, until marshmallows are just melted, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in cereal until fully combined.
  3. Transfer cereal mixture to prepared pan. Sprinkle hazelnuts over cereal mixture. Smooth top with rubber spatula. Let cool then cut into squares.
  4. Optional (I left it out): Melt milk chocolate over low heat. Place in ziploc bag, seal and cut a corner to pipe onto rice krispie squares. Let set.

2 comments:

  1. What does the chocolate do? Not mentioned in instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that's a mistake on my part. I copied the ingredient list from the original blog I got the recipe from. The milk chocolate is meant to be melted and drizzled over the top of the bars. I left it out as I wanted it plain but you can include if you wish. I'll edit the instructions. Thanks for the catch!

      Delete