a cookie called Lemon Doodles before but it was different from this one. This was more like a lemon sugar cookie or a lemon version of a snickerdoodle but with lemon zest instead of cinnamon to go with the sugar for the coating. But what really pulled me towards this recipe is you use browned butter. I've declared my love for browned butter many times already. But browned butter paired with fresh lemon zest? We might be talking a whole 'nother level of deliciousness.
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
zest of 3 lemons
- To make coating for cookie dough: Mash zest and sugar together with a fork to create lemon sugar.
- To make cookies: Start by browning butter. Melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a skillet over medium heat, stir continually until butter starts to foam and is light golden brown. Immediately remove from heat and add remaining 1/2 stick of butter to pan and set aside to cool.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 425 degrees. (I baked mine at 375 degrees.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar and lemon zest and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix dry ingredients together on lowest speed just until combined.
- Add cooled butter, eggs, and vanilla and mix again just until combined.
- Scoop out two tablespoons of dough and form into a ball. Roll balls in lemon sugar mixture to coat and place on cookie sheet. Flatten the cookie dough balls slightly by using the back of a measuring cup.
- Bake for about 7 minutes and let cool (I baked mine for 10-12 minutes). They are best slightly underdone. When they come out of the oven, the middle should fall in just a little and the cookie should crackle as it settles.