Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lemon Doodles


Lemon Doodles - made July 30, 2010 from Land O Lakes Cookies book

You have to try this recipe just for the name alone. Not to mention it garnered my parents' highest praise: "It's not too sweet." Lemon Doodles are not to be confused with the more common Snickerdoodles. These are not sugar-butter cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar. Rather, they're lemon butter (or sugar) cookies with coconut. There isn't enough coconut to really call them a coconut cookie but the coconut does add to the chewiness making them very good. You know my taste buds are jaded so when I like a cookie, I like a cookie.

My only issue with these cookies is that they spread out. They puff a bit during baking and look promising but once you take them out of the oven and they cool, they deflate. It's not a dealbreaker since the taste and texture are still pretty good but this is definitely one I want to bake again once I have my convection oven and see if I can minimize the spread. I underbaked them slightly but they would be better baked just right - the edges are crisp and the middles are nice and chewy with a great lemon flavor that isn't overwhelming. And they couldn't be easier to make.


2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup flaked coconut
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Heat oven to 400˚F. In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 4 minutes). Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Yield: 4 dozen cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment