Friday, December 27, 2013

Restaurant Review: Ramen Halu

Ramen Halu - dinner on December 16, 2013
It was still "hot soup weather" a couple of weeks ago, i.e. chilly, so I met my friend Cindy for a bowl of ramen at a new-to-me place called Ramen Halu. I'm not a ramen gourmand but enjoy a good bowl of ramen nonetheless so I was happy to try a new source for it.
Inside Ramen Halu
Ramen Halu is fairly small, maybe a little smaller than Kotetsu and on par with Orenchi (which I still haven't written up and at this point probably need to try again so I can have a more recent experience there) but it could still seat a fair number of people comfortably.
Cindy and I both got the Ramen Halu. Since it was my first visit, I always have to get whatever dish is named after the restaurant itself. The broth was thick and, as with other ramen bowls, the first few sips were very tasty. But also like at Kotetsu, by the time I had consumed half the broth, it was getting rather salty towards the end.
The noodles were good, not quite at chewy as at Kotetsu, and thinner than I expected. I was anticipating thicker noodles, partly because the menu describes them as thick noodles but they weren't quite that thick. The biggest thing I'd hold against them though is their standard ramen bowl didn't come with a soft-boiled whole egg like Kotetsu and Orench's ramen does. It was still good but if I had to compare with the other two ramen places, I like having the egg so its lack was a disappointment. On the plus side, the prices were on par with the other ramen places and we didn't have to wait for a table. The service was fairly prompt and it was still a good bowl of ramen noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment