1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature, cut into small cubes
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix briefly.
- With mixer on low, drop in butter, a few cubes at a time, until butter in all in and mix resembles coarse sand.
- Add eggs, one at a time, on low speed, mixing only until just incorporated.
- Slowly pour in milk and vanilla. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes until batter is smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes until centers are set and toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. I did a simple vanilla frosting: 4 tablespoons butter beaten until soft and creamy then add powdered sugar and whole milk until you achieve the desired consistency.