1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cup buttermilk, shaken
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add half the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then the remaining flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the liners and bake until the tops are just dry to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 21-23 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the topping: in a shallow bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with the melted butter, turn them upside down, and roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, tilting them from side to side to cover as much of the top as possible. Invert and serve.