Thursday, January 9, 2014

Restaurant Review: Wagamama, London, England

Wagamama - dinner on December 28, 2013
After our tour guides left us, we went foraging for dinner. Based on not only Kat's and Sami's endorsements but also recommendations from friends of mine who had lived in London before, we went to Wagamama's. I'd actually been to Wagamama's on a prior business trip as I was taken there by a work colleague long ago. It's an Asian fusion noodle place and I knew my nieces would like it so off we went despite Wagamama's being a chain and my usual determination to keep it small and local. But it was a cold night, we'd been out walking all day and hot noodles and/or soup sounded really good.
Inside Wagamama
The one we went to had a very modest outside storefront but that was mostly because you went down a flight of stairs to a much larger restaurant below. It was lined with tables and very crowded. We shared a table of 6 with three strangers who were served separately. Having had a filling lunch from one of the sandwich stalls at Borough Market we weren't that hungry so we ended up sharing an appetizer and two entrees.
Duck Gyoza with hoisin sauce
 I ordered the Teriyaki Chicken Donburi. It arrived served on a bed of rice which I expected but it wasn't the donburi I was used to back in the States since it wasn't topped with a soft-cooked scrambled egg. Still, it was tasty and hit the right spot.
Teriyaki Chicken Donburi 
My nieces split the duck gyoza appetizer and the Wagamama Ramen bowl. My niece Lauren loves ramen noodle soup and I swear I only took my eyes off her for a minute before I looked back at her bowl and found it empty. I guess she liked it, lol.
Wagamama Ramen

No comments:

Post a Comment