1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar, optional for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line light colored baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients except for the powdered sugar slowly until just combined. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly.
- Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar, if desired. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not melty or shiny). Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
zest from one large lemon
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, then the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency.